cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 4 - Ethernet slower than Wi-Fi?

Arpy
Tuning in

After some help, I’m on a 1gb package with the SH4. Via Wi-Fi I’m getting speeds of c.400mb but via Ethernet it’s only around 100mb. 
I’ve checked the splitter and it’s rated 5-2000 so think that’s a ‘newer’ splitter.

samknows/real speed to hub is showing <100mb.  

Do I have an issue with my SH4 or potentially with the service itself?

Any thoughts welcome.

thanks

17 REPLIES 17

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First thing to check is the ethernet cable - old ones may not support speeds over 100 - or if they "fail" (damaged wiring?) they will default back to 10./100. So try a new ome Cat5e minimum - Cat6a better. Also check the device you are testing on actually has a 1GB NIC card, that its drivers are up to date and that it hasn't autoset itself to connect at 100mbps.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John,

I've tested it with a selection of cables (all CAT6 or greater) and tonight am getting ethernet speeds of between 120-150mbs.  

I've also tried connecting the SH4 direct without the splitter and this does not make any noticeable difference to the ethernet speed.

Drivers are all upto date (tested on Surface Pro 7 and Dell X1, with two diff USB-C ethernet adapters)

I previously had Virgin at my current address 2 years ago on a SH3 and never had any issues with ethernet speeds.

any further thoughts would be welcome.

cheers

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Test speeds like this next

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected to the Hub. Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John,

I've followed the steps you've suggested below. Prior to making changes I was getting around 80mbs.

Putting in modem mode and testing via Edge/Chrome I was getting 70mbs to 90mbs.

Booting into safe mode, getting the same sort of speeds.

Not sure what the next steps are now.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
All I can suggest is a pinhole reset as below - not as the VM website says.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it. If not try the reset one last time and hold pin longer.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks John,

Tried the 'pinhole reset' twice - no change in my paltry ethernet download speeds.  I'll try and get through to technical support as looks like it's a faulty hub.

thanks for trying.

Try this page. It shows your speed to the hub and the connected device you run the test on.

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

yep - tried that and flagged that I was getting < 100mbs in my first post

Hi Arpy

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the lower than expected speeds. 

I've done a check today and no issues are showing, no area outages. All your power levels in spec, downstream slightly high but in spec. No SNR (Signal to noise ratio) or congestion issues. 

Can you post your Hub status and logs? How to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode), 
• Don't log in, click on 'router status' 
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.
Also, set up a Broadband Quality Monitor. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc 
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill