Menu
linnnaim
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

HUB 3 slow WIFI speed compared to ethernet

..Hi , i,m sure this has been covered before !!! 

I,ve just upgraded from vivid 200 to 350 ... on the laptop its fantastic , i,m getting 360 380 390 at times on the speedtest.net test.

On the WIFI side in the Hub 3 connected devices it says ipad 280 or 290 , but i can only get 120 -130 on the Ipad speedtest.net test , which is exactly the same as it was under the vivid 200 set up. Its the same on the laptop WIFI which is inches from the Hub 3 i only get 130 max which is the same as under the vivid 200.

I,ve tried all the usual changes on the Hub 3 , ssid name change , only using 5ghz , one channel at a time rather than the auto function ,  but nothing brings the slightest improvement ..... i must be able to get some improvement surely ?? .. is there one mystical change i could do ??? Thanks 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HUB 3 slow WIFI speed compared to ethernet

Upgrading your package just increases the size of your pipe to the internet, it does not upgrade your wireless client hardware or clean up your wireless environment, the two major factors affecting wireless speeds.

First of all I would look at the capabilities of your wireless clients, i.e. the wireless adapters in your laptop and ipad which would be model dependant.

Also, you need to be aware of the dereference between LINK speed which your devices will show you and actual speed as tested through a speedtest site.
The LINK speed is the theoretical speed in one direction, actual speeds will be about 50 - 65% of the LINK speed and can be further degraded by your wireless environment (including range)

Wireless N has a LINK speed of 72Mbps using a single 20MHz wide channel and 150Mbps using two channels bonded together to form a 40MHz wide channel per wireless stream (antenna). Using the 40MHz channel on the narrow 2.4GHz band is usually a bad idea as it hogs effectively 2/3rds of the spectrum. making it prone to wireless interference. so 300Mbps would be the typical link speed of a MIMO (two antennae) device using the 40MHz channel. (2 x 150) depending on coding and using the short guard interval.

The 5GHz only wireless AC standard can achieve a LINK speed of 433Mbps using 4 bonded channels to form a 80MHz wide channel.
You will need the Hub 3 to be set to AC mode and have the 80MHz wide channel enabled.

As the Hub uses the same SSID for both the 2.4GHz band allowing wireless clients to seamlessly roam between the two bands, A lot of devices will tend to roam to the 2.4GHz band by default as it usually has the strongest signal. It is wise to prevent this if speed is your priority, by separating the two band which it looks like you have done, also checking that your wireless devices are not set to connect to the 2.4GHz band automatically.

Being too close to the Hub can affect your speeds as the signal can be too strong very close to the Hub as the channels can bleed into each other. 1M away is plenty close enough.

0 Kudos
linnnaim
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 3 slow WIFI speed compared to ethernet

Hi , yes i will try those suggestions , i will look at the laptop wireless settings ... i don,t think theres much i can change on the ipad its preset as such , i was expecting some sort of improvement if only small , but it seems just the same as it was under vivid 200 , thanks anyway

0 Kudos