cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 3 firewall conflict with Netgear firewall

Cryptoffa
Tuning in

Sorry about this as it's a pretty basic issue.
I've installed a Netgear FVS336G firewall on a LAN port of my Hub 3 with the other LAN ports unused and both 2.4GHz & 5GHz WIFI disabled.
No rules are configured on the Hub 3 firewall (in default state) and all traffic therefore passes through the Netgear router.
Unfortunately this configuration appears to lead to intermittent Internet connectivity issues.
Both firewalls are currently enabled, but c
ould the problems be due to a conflict between Hub 3 and Netgear firewalls ?
Perhaps the Hub 3 firewall should now be disabled in this scenario ?

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Their is no firewall on the hub it a fake option that causes problems on or off that shouldn't.

use the hub in modem mode or get a new router
---------------------------------------------------------------

g0akc
Problem sorter

Have you read the manual etc.  Here 

How many devices do you have connected?  Are they all connected via the Netgear?  It sounds like they are.  The Netgear isn't a router is it?  No DHCP server, NAT etc.

You only need one firewall, but all devices should connect through it - just one computer - no problem - more and you need a router really. You can disable VM hub firewall if you want as don't need both.

I doubt two firewall in series are causing connectivity issues.  Likely something else.

Depending on your setup/ number devices put hub in modem mode.  Look at using own router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for your comments
The Netgear has dual WAN ports,  4 LAN ports (one programable as DMZ), firewall, NAT, separate DHCPs for LAN & DMZ and loads of other stuff.
Total number of devices all connected via the Netgear 15 well within allowable limit.
Beginning to suspect that it might be faulty.
Going to set up a configuration without the Netgear to see if this cures the issues.

I would try with VM hub in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.
Now that I've spent several days trying out many permutations, I realize the significant limitations of the Hub 3.
I've lost count of the number of times the router crashed with errors and had to be reset.
It's a pity that it appears to sport features which actually either don't function at all or generate errors.
In particular MAC address filtering doesn't do what it's supposed to do and if you add more than about a dozen addresses then it crashes.
Also the DMZ feature doesn't appear to function as a proper DMZ with firewall rules seemingly not working.
An annoying issue is that, subsequent to a crash, it seems impossible to log back into the router as it reports that another user is using the configuration facility and to try again later, but even if you break for lunch and come back an hour later you're still locked out.
The only option seems to be to reset it, lose all your previous settings and start all over again.
Now, when this happens, you get the initial language screen followed by the change password screen.
The router then reports that the changes have been made successfully and then it hangs and hangs and hangs.
The way out of this is to power the router off and on again, then wait and wait another 5 minutes or so for it to reboot.
So much time wasted just waiting and waiting only to find that it crashes again for some other reason and has to be reset yet again.
I've given up with it now and will just use it as a modem with all its features disabled, including WIFI, and install a proper router inside.
After several support calls and pleading, Virgin kindly replaced the router with another Hub 3 but to no avail.
(They wouldn't give me a Hub 5 but I was grateful for a discount on my monthly subscription)
So frustrating and disappointing to have wasted a week struggling with Hub 3.
To be honest, as an IT Pro with 30 years experience, I'm really embarrassed at my failure to succeed with it.
I was really enthusiastic when I started but now - - - -

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt you will find any IT Pros on the board that don’t use the VM hubs in modem mode. I have never used any of the VM hubs in router mode. I’m an IT Pro with 54 years of experience!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2