Menu
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 3 disaster.

So what is a QoS and a NAT please?

Yes please, I want a door stop.  The call centre senior who at least tried to be helpful did offer to validate the Hub2 for me again, unfortunately it was already gone for recycling.

Anybody out there have a doorstop (HUB2) in the shed or under the stairs?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

"Anybody out there have a doorstop (HUB2) in the shed or under the stairs?"

I'm afraid all hubs are locked to the account they are first assigned to, and that can't be changed (or maybe won't, but the same outcome).  So getting somebody else's spare SH2 won't work as a cable modem.  I'm afraid it's Hub 3 or nothing for the time being.  But I would suggest you consider -tony-'s suggestions.  Once it's set up correctly the Hub does reach levels of adequacy, but as it comes there's a few issues that affect its performance in some circumstances.

0 Kudos
Ptolemaeus
Tuning in
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello there.

QoS would be a feature where you could have your device (in this case your powerline) prioritize some device(s) over others, so that if you have 3 devices in your network all downloading as much as they can, the one on top will get most of the broadband (let's say you have 100$ and need to split it, QoS would be like being able to give 80$ to one person and 10$ to two other people, as opposed to $33.33 for all 3 people).

NAT stands for "Network Address Translation". If you have two of them in the same premise (while not being properly set up that way) it will cause issues where some packets aren't going to be sent to the right device. Meaning that some of the devices might lose their "internet connection" or at least make it seem that way. Some devices might actually end up not working at all because of that.

0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ptolomeus, thank you.

It is a very simple setup, the NAT issue referred to could not apply where there is one only PC connected by ethernet plus the powerline with one only WiFi access point.

Especially when the PC is off and the Hub3 is feeding into the powerline to the wifi access point.

The access point is visible to the phone so obviously functioning....the Hub3 is not talking to or responding to the Solwise.

Simple set-up... hub connected to PC1 by ethernet and powerline.  Other end of powerline is PC2, PC3 and Solwise.   PCs quite independant, any communication is done via e.g. Onedrive

Normally only one PC would be running at any given time.

At one time PC2 was a laptop also running on WiFi via the Solwise Powerline WiFi adapter...all good on Hub2.

Until I got suckered into Hub3.

If anybody does have a Hub2 spare, it CAN be reset and registered to my account.   So I was lead to understand by the Virgin supervisor in Bangalore. The one who didnt try to sell me a bigger package or wifi extenders.

0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Tony, I'll give it a go when I have the time and the head for it....its very demanding for me, I'm by no means a natural cybergeek.  Its all strictly on a need to know basis and promptly forgotten after that....

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Right, let's see if we can't approach this logically and also I think that some people are tripping over the terminology and not using it in the right place.

Firstly the OP categorically says that he is using a SOLWISE PLV-500AV-PEWN Wifi Extender (post 3). Now firstly this isn't an Extender but an access point where the connection back to the router (backhaul) is via Powerline technology. Secondly if we look up the manual for this exact model, there's no mention of NAT functions, it's simply a wifi bridge - and yes there are Solwise devices with similar names which do have router functions, but not this model.

So @MadMonk question 1 : is this the exact model of the device you are using? Question 2 : did you swop the Hub 3 for the Hub 2 directly, i.e. Just plug the cables in exactly as they were on the Hub2?

Now the reason I ask this is that in the same post (3), he says

Hub 3 ~ Powerline cable already Cat6

Main PC is Cat6 ~ Hub3

So if it was a straight swop, then it appears he had a PC plugged into one of the ports on the Hub 2 and another port connected to the Powerline adapter and hence to the access point. In which case (and assuming) it all worked, then the Hub 2 was NEVER in modem mode, it couldn't have been, as in that mode only one of the sockets would work. Leaving aside the NAT and routing issues.

@MadMonk question 3 : how exactly did you put the Hub 2 in modem mode, did you just disable the wifi because that's not the same thing at all. In the other thread you have been posting in, you said (post 6 responding to jbrennand)

"Why not leave it router mode then just turn off the Hub3's wifi in settings, and connect your wifi equipment as before????
That means "Modem Mode" doesn't it?
If not, I don't understand you."

Which would indicate that you are not too sure what modem mode actually is even though in a response to a suggestion that perhaps the Hub2 was in router mode all along you said (post 15)

"Seeing that I put the hub(2) in modem mode with my own bare hands, your suggestion is quite unlikely."

What I suspect has happened, and, if indeed your device is the one listed above, is that the Hub2 indeed was in router mode all along with the wifi disabled, you replaced it with the hub3 but this time you put it in true modem mode which just won't work with your device. Somehow between yourself and VM, you've lost the pairing between the two ends of the power line devices, so now it doesn't work in any mode!

Does all that sound reasonable? Naturally if you don't have the wifi device stated above, or I have misunderstood how you had everything connected up, then my apologies and we'll have to have a rethink!

What I'd suggest is that you get the Hub back in router mode (factory reset if necessary), log into it and just disable the wifi broadcast. Then factory reset the Solwise devices and set them up again from scratch.

John

0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

John, 

You are very perceptive, thank you.

I don't remember exactly and I cant answer the direct questions. 

Its a while ago the change actually happened and there only so much of this I can handle....without a long break.

What you are saying is a perfectly reasonable hypothesis, and I will follow your instructions first thing tomorrow.

Good night each, thanks to all helping to concentrate my mind and clarify my confusion.

0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

John,

Further investigation reveals that the Solwise PLV-500AV-PEWN WiFi adapter (or whatever it is) is dysfunctional..the lights are going on and of at random and no sign of it recognised by the smartphone.  So we write that off and start again, I guess this all is sheer co-incidence as it is the second one I've had.  The first was replaced under guarantee, so maybe they are not so reliable.

NOW, the situation is that the only somewhat functional place the Hub3 functions for WiFi is 1 meter from my head...relatively central in the flat, the Hub 2 was formerly more or less adequate stuck in the corner.

Hence I want to make a WiFI access point/transmitter/adapter which will sit comfortable and convenient in a socket in the hallway or the kitchen, simple for the purpose of servicing the phones and to be easily switched on or off as needed.

Using the powerline set-up, still working fine with a PC in each bedroom, a cheap simple WiFi wotsit independent of the Hub3.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks to all contributors to my consternation and confusion.

By the way, has anybody else noticed how buggy this forum is or is it just me?  On the phone, its completely mad, the text I'm trying to enter and/or edit jumps up and down all over the place touch a point to shift the cursor and it jumps away from the focal point.  When I go to post it flags up "Unacceptable HTML" or some such message  and just a minute ago the cursor transformed to a blue selection which deleted and replaced typing.  I had to copy my text to note pad then close and re-open the dialogue to put it right.  Possibly my dyslexic fingers are unconsciously writing macros...😆

0 Kudos
MadMonk
Tuning in
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Jem101 

John u r a jem....

Finally RESULT!!!

Factory reset to Hub3  (this morning)

Just now had a final desperate attempt to the NET-PLV-500AV-PEWN and its seemed to have sorted itself, lights-wise so I disabled the Hub3 WiFi....as advised, and left it in router mode.

Lo! and Behold! Solwise was permited to connect to the HUB3 where it was not before.

All seems Ticketty-Boo, at present have two PCs and one Smartphone showing up as connected inside Hub3 (and to the WWWeb)

So I have to tell you that Solwise NET-PLV-500AV-PEWN does indeed provide an access point without a prior signal, provided it is on a homeplug powerline circuit.

Or has an ethernet connection to the Hub3; it has two ethernet ports as well as WiFI output...

Yes its true, I'm not too sure of anything, as you say " some people are tripping over the terminology and not using it in the right place" and that applies to manufacturers, advertisers and tecchies as well as half baked nerds like me. 

WiFi "Extender" seemingly has at least two meanings:

1) Boosting a weak signal into the next room/space, upstairs or down, and

2) in this instance extending the Homeplug Powerline (or is it Powerline Homeplug)? network with a WiFi signal.

But I am in no doubt that I had the Hub2 in modem mode and it all worked well just the same, to beg the question.

Obviously Hub3 is a bit fussy about its food.....

Hey Ho, so it go!  Thank you all and sundry.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No worries, glad you got it all working..

I need to be careful now, people might start thinking I actually know what I'm talking about....😉

John

0 Kudos