cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 3 WIFI KEEPS DROPPING OUT & CANT ACCESS HUB

SteFawcett
On our wavelength

OK, I will keep this short so as not to bore anyone.

Using HUB 3 - wifi cuts out intermittently but the wired equipment stays up and okay, no lights change on the hub itself, I have tried all the suggestions that VM have thrown at me and I am stumped, been like this for 7 months, its not one single item it cuts out for but the entire network.

Trying to access the hub is also a problem, 

http://192.168.0.1/ asks me what language and then just sits on a screen telling me it's updating, not sure how long it's been like this but I have been refreshing it for 7 hours today but no change.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 113136.png

When I run the VM WIFI app I get the following message:

SteFawcett_1-1640014470707.png

I have done everything that the VM advisors have instructed me to do even to the point of altering the arrangments of my furniture and electrical equipment so it sits on its own facing into the room, but it still intermittently cuts out, it is a nightmare as my wife works from home for a mental health charity and being cut out of a zoom call with someone can be very worrying for the patients.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I think it's the hub personally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I would always advise that important Teams/Zoom meeting are conducted on a device connected to the Hub by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable. Have you tried that and if so - is it "issue free"?

You say wired connections are all ok and its just wifi... in which case I would suggest considering putting the Hub into modem mode and getting your own better quality router and wireless equipment to sort it once and for all

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I would always advise that important Teams/Zoom meeting are conducted on a device connected to the Hub by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable. Have you tried that and if so - is it "issue free"?

You say wired connections are all ok and its just wifi... in which case I would suggest considering putting the Hub into modem mode and getting your own better quality router and wireless equipment to sort it once and for all

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi  Jbrennand

Thanks for the reply, no connection on the equipment for ethernet so she is stuck with WIFI, not sure on the modem mode, can I do that without going into the settings as it won't let me in the hub, it seems to have a mind of its own and is in a little tantrum for some reason.

As for purchasing another router, I am disabled and housebound, I balance my food bill with my utility bill, purchasing anything over £5 is a great challenge for me.

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried a full factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 10-15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.

Please ensure that your WiFi network password is still readable on the Hub sticker before you do this or that you at least have a copy of your original network password.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See if the pinhole reset helps.

What make/model of device is she using for the meetings? Any device can be connected to the Hub on ethernet cable with a suitable adapter. What "ports does the device have - USB3, USBc, MicroUSB, Thunderbolt, Lightning, something else?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi SteFawcett, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with your WiFi connection. 

Taking a look at the account, all is looking good in terms of power levels, signal levels and the area itself. 

The following links will help you to optimise your WiFi network to improve the connection. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

SteFawcett
On our wavelength
Hi Kath,

We have been through the WIFI troubleshooting several times, even to the point we rearranged our furniture and relocated everything and the hub, the hub has been reset several times over the past few weeks but we still get the WIFI outage, even though the ethernet stays up.

Purchasing my own router or telling my wife to get her boss to buy her new equipment is not going to happen, I have put over 70 hours into helping you resolve this, I really can't keep going over the same things again and again, it is really not good for my PTSD & BPD.

I would also prefer it if only VM staff helped with my problem so I don't go break anything.

Also, the WIFI tips and troubleshooting is to get better WIFI, although I have seen better range with a coathanger and duct tape, doesn't matter how good the WIFI is if it cuts out intermittently whenever it feels like it? I live in a 1.5-bed bungalow that takes around 10 steps to get from one end to the other, according to the VMs sales pitch "My hub is supercharged with smart intelligent WIFI technology, so I can keep more devices whizzing around faster"

I wouldn't like to think I lived in something bigger than a shoebox if my hub is that smart, maybe it has dementia or is just not as smart as you are claiming? how many hub years per human year do these things live for?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @SteFawcett

I have managed to locate your account using your forum details,  I can see that you have some power level issue. 

I am going to pop you over a PM so that I can arrange an engineer appointment, you can find your PM in the purple envelope in the top right of the screen. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for confirming that information via PM. 

I have arranged for the engineer to attend, for the time, date and to make any further amendments please visit your My Virgin Media account

Kind regards,

Zak_M