cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 3 WIFI KEEPS DROPPING OUT & CANT ACCESS HUB

SteFawcett
On our wavelength

OK, I will keep this short so as not to bore anyone.

Using HUB 3 - wifi cuts out intermittently but the wired equipment stays up and okay, no lights change on the hub itself, I have tried all the suggestions that VM have thrown at me and I am stumped, been like this for 7 months, its not one single item it cuts out for but the entire network.

Trying to access the hub is also a problem, 

http://192.168.0.1/ asks me what language and then just sits on a screen telling me it's updating, not sure how long it's been like this but I have been refreshing it for 7 hours today but no change.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 113136.png

When I run the VM WIFI app I get the following message:

SteFawcett_1-1640014470707.png

I have done everything that the VM advisors have instructed me to do even to the point of altering the arrangments of my furniture and electrical equipment so it sits on its own facing into the room, but it still intermittently cuts out, it is a nightmare as my wife works from home for a mental health charity and being cut out of a zoom call with someone can be very worrying for the patients.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I think it's the hub personally.

19 REPLIES 19

SteFawcett
On our wavelength

I cant see where I would find the information on dates and times, 

HI SteFawcett

Have you been able to find the time and date yet?

You can also view it on this App 

Gareth_L

martip
On our wavelength

Gareth_L,

We are having horrendous issues with our WiFi this afternoon (29/1/22) Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands keep "switching off" with the WiFi symbol on the router illuminating. This wil last for several minutes and then all good again for a short while. Ethernet connected devices are fine and stable, so it is a HUB3 issue.

It is an unacceptable service from a so called super-hub advertised to give "super fast" WiFi to your home.

Now before you access the hub and tell me we have too many WiFi devices connected or that they are too far away; nowhere have I found any information or definitive documentation which states maximum  devices or distance. I appreciate that with many devices using WiFi channels at the same time there may be some congestion issues (ie reduction in speed etc.) However most of the WiFi devices we have installed lay dormant for most of the time so will not have an impact. Furthermore the WiFi has operated, more or less fine until this afternoon with occasional failures of the WiFi in the pasrt!

(I have to say that in my opinion the HUB3 does not  live up to the advertised hype, nor ever has)

I would greatly value your input.

Martin

Broadband / Phone

SteFawcett
On our wavelength

Hey Martin,

Seven months they kept telling me my Hub 3.0 was working perfectly even though the WIFI kept dropping out intermittently, seven months! they arranged for an engineer recently and he said the WIFI on my hub was not working (surprise) and they needed to replace the hub, he swapped it out for an old Hub 3.0 he had in the van.

I still can't get WIFI any more than 10 metres from my hub, it's a joke.

martip
On our wavelength
SteFawcett,
I think it is despicable the way Virgin Media advertise this product as being "smart" and delivering super fast WiFi to your home. This HUB3 has never delivered as advertised, despite engineer visit to, supposedly remedy the poor WiFi coverage. Nothing changed. I can see this router through a window, some 4/5yds away, and still the WiFi to a device, in plain site of the router receives abysmal coverage!
We have followed this ISP since NTLWorld days, but I have been sorely tempted recently to try another ISP (Hey BroadBand are canvasing in the area, and they can supply FTTP for a very reasonable price!)
Broadband / Phone

Hi Martin, 

Thanks for your post and we're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your WiFi connection. 

Our diagnostics on your home network and Hub have not found any issues that could account for connection drop-outs. There are no open faults in your area either.

Looking at the WiFi side of the network, there is some congestion and low signal being detected which could account for issues you are having. If the devices are quite a way from the Hub, it may be worth looking at adding WiFi pod to your network to help improve things. You can read more about that here

These links will also help to improve things.

Please pop back and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,  

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

martip
On our wavelength

Hello Kath_F,

Thank you for your response.

Sadly what you suggest has been suggested many times before from the team and VM - we always seem to go over the very same ground.

I am aware that some WiFi devices in our home are marginal as far as signal is concerned. However, I can be standing next to the Hub3 with iPhone in hand and it will still drop the WiFi on occasion. Usually when this happens the WiFi indicator on the front of the Hub3 will flash, or remain steady. Then a random delay, indicator extinguishes and all is restored!

Looking at the logs this morning I see several of these messages:-

NOTICE ATOM is restarted as part of Self Healing Mechanism;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Does that suggest that the Hub3 is finally dying?!?

I have to say, as a long time customer, I am more than disappointed with the reliability of the device and the repeated advice given by VM staff, going over the very same ground time and time again.

Martin

Broadband / Phone

Hi @martip

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to drop you a private message now, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

DXB
Joining in

Yep -- I have the same problem here. Hard wired to desktop or laptop no problem with internet but wifi continually dropping out for the last 2 weeks on multiple different  devices. Have tried all the resetting, unplugging, standing on one leg with my phone next to the box & it is still doesn't work for more than a few minutes. Just had a delightful conversation with VM helpdesk & after hanging on for 20 mins with intermittent "we're still looking at it" the final comment was to reset & WAIT FOR FOR 48 HOURS FOR THE RESET TO "KICK IN" !!!!!!!!!????? What an absolute joke - do you think that is a believable solution ?? Some technical expertise you have there. Clearly this is an issue with the Hub 3.0 as per the other comments on here & poor customer service from VM.

Come on, am paying a small fortune for this poor service!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DXB,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community!

So sorry for the Wi-Fi issues, when checking our service I can see that there is an area fault raised.

The estimated fix time for this is around 6PM today.

Apologies for the inconvenience. 

Thanks,

Kain