Menu
engineer350
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

HUB 3 SETUP ON SMALL SERVER

Just changed to Virgin Media, I was assured that the HUB 3 would replace my Netgear Router and was suitable for what I required, but I cannot set up my new box (HUB 3) to suit my system.

I have a Small Business Server 2011, this does all my e-mails and is part of my home network the DNS Server on this is 192.168.1.2 my old router the gateway was set to 192.168.1.1 DHCP was disabled on my old router and the DHCP Server on the Small Business Server issued the IP addresses to my home network.

I cannot see how I set up the HUB 3 to be the default gateway 192.168.1.1 and to use the DHCP on the Small Business Server which is 192.168.1.2, can anyone help, and I have looked through the community

0 Kudos
jlippa
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 3 SETUP ON SMALL SERVER

The hub3's ip address is 192.168.0.1 and it can't be changed. If you did have dhcp enabled on the hub3 it would hand out client ip addresses in the 192.168.0.n subnet range and this can't be changed either. You can switch off the hub3 dhcp server which it sounds like you might want to do.

In summary the hub3's primary network, both wired and wireless is fixed to 192.168.0.x.

The hub3 guest WiFi network does operate on the 192.168.1.n subnet but I expect that's probably not much use to you.

If you were to put the hub3 into modem mode, the mode usually used where you don't want to use any of router features of the hub and you want to use your own router, the hub 3 gets the ip address 192.168.100.1 and this can't be changed.

Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Best option here would be to use an external router for your networking needs or change the setup your servers to sit on the 192.168.0.0 network.

If you need further information just ask.

0 Kudos
jlippa
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thinking some more about this, I remembered reading another thread in these forums where people were discussing the limitations of not being able to change the lan ip address of the hub3. Someone came up with a workaround in there that was reported to work by some users that was centered around making manually modified HTTP GET requests direct to the hub3 from a browser.

I'm not recommending you go down this road and it's certainly not something that's going to officially supported in any way but it's a method worth knowing about and it might be something to consider depending on your perspective to risk.

Here's the thread that contains the details of the hack: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Superhub-3-internal-network-address/td-p/3...

engineer350
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

A bit inconvenient I have used different routers over the last 20-years and this is the first one I have come across where you cannot change the Main IP address. I can change it on the server but in my experience every time I have tried to alter something on a Microsoft’s Small Business Server away from the server’s defaults it does not like it and refuses to work in some way. If I had known this in the first place I would not have changed to Virgin Media. I understand I have 14-days in which I can cancel so I will contact Virgin, if they cannot give me a fix then I will have to cancel, very unfortunate and inconvenient

0 Kudos
jlippa
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes I agree not being able to change the ip address of the device to whatever address you want is inconvenient. I'd go further than that and say it's rubbish.

I have a number of ESP8266 WiFi devices on my network which are based on ESP12F SOC that you can buy for £2 from eBay / China. Even these super cheap devices are industry certified and support a network stack / firmware stack where the ip address can be set to whatever you like.

There's an argument that I've seen that attempts to defend the poor design decisions made in the hub3 on the basis that it's an entry level device, Virgin Media made these decisions to make support of the device simple and if you need more complex features than the hub provides, you're to use your own router with the hub in modem mode.

I don't subscribe to this thinking. Without doubt the hub3 is intentionally crippled, it's limitations are artificial and are design/product choices made by VM and whatever the reasons might have been, I don't agree with them.

The hub2 was similarly crippled as the hub3 is but it did at least allow the lan ip address to be changed. 

Highlighted
Tudor
Community elder
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The Hub3 is a residential consumer product pared down to a price and I suspect some bright spark at VM said “we’ll set it to use one LAN address so users cannot change it and then our support people will not have problems”. How very wrong they were!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
engineer350
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to everyone for your answers, just so I can investigate can anyone recommend a Router that will directly replace the HUB3.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

engineer350 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your answers, just so I can investigate can anyone recommend a Router that will directly replace the HUB3.

There's (currently) NO replacement that will "directly"(viz physically)  replace the Hub3 on a "residential" (and/or non Trial Test) connection with 32x8 D3.0 + 802.11/a/b/n/ac Dual band functionality.  SH2AC with 8x4 D3.0 will be nearest but if you haven't already retained one previously registered to your account  then you're probably s.o.l !  Smiley Sad .   Best option is Hub3 in ModemMode and almost any TP Link/Asus  with 802.11ac with QoS,  but many will advise specific models!

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

So you can't directly replace the SuperHub 3 but you can place it into modem mode for your WAN needs.

Personally, I have an ASUS RT-AC66U which runs multiple connections flawlessly and has tonnes of options compared to conventional routers (uses ASUS own version of DD-WRT, can also be flashed with DD-WRT if you want more advanced capability). If you're not fussed about wireless speeds there are N options and the 5x series which work just as well.

0 Kudos