cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 3 Red Power Light

jcfiren
Tuning in

Hi, I have been having intermittent page loading issues for the past few weeks (ethernet wired computers, wifi is from a separate router), I have a Hub 3 running in modem mode, and the power light is now showing as constant red. This has been in the same location for a few years with no changes. I have tried the usual switch off/reset process a few times, but still showing red light. Internet is working put has issues with Teams calls, web pages either slow or not loading at all.

Can this hub please be replaced?, happy to install without an engineer, still working from home these days, so need a reliable internet connection.

Reading through the forums, this seems to be a common issue with Hub 3 devices.

thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When in modem mode the hub3 LED should be magenta, although with aging it can look red. The way to test if there is a problem with it is to pit the hub in router mode. The LED should then be green. If it stays red, report back, as the hub will need replacing.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks Tudor, tried that already, def solid red, will need replacing. 

Hi @jcfiren 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry for the service issues. From checking the system you are affected by an SNR issue (signal to noise ratio).

F010567497 - fault number. The estimated fix date is the 28th March.

Regarding the red light situation as you mentioned the hub is in modem mode. Please try the below whilst in router mode and report back;

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location and out of direct sunlight, if possible. 
• Switch the hub back on at the power. The Hub should now operate normally.

Keep me posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John, tried that, modem power lights in yellow, but I can only connect wirelessly, I have a router/firewall, wifi mesh and network switch behind this to support my network, and that breaks when in router mode. I switched back to modem mode, but power light is still solid red. Note the Hub3 was setup in 2016, and has been on ever since in modem mode with no issues until the past few weeks. Unit is warm to the touch as well, but is out of sunlight (I live in Scotland) and has space all around for ventilation. Is the Hub a fire hazard with the red light?

Hi John, internet access appears to be ok, but I still have concerns about the red power light on the Hub 3. Is it about to fail completely?, fire hazard? etc.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Hi jcfiren,

Thanks for getting back to us, when in modem mode the hub light would be red, so not something to worry about.

Just to confirm what colour is the light when in router mode?

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex, power light is yellow when in Router mode. Need to keep the Hub 3 in modem mode though as I have a separate security router. Hub 3 is quite warm to the touch, but has space all around it.

thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jcfiren,

Thanks for coming back to us about your ongoing issue. If your Hub is warm to the touch or smells like burning, please unplug your Hub from the mains as this could be a fire hazard.

As advised, there is an active SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) outage that is impacting your services and is estimated to be fixed tomorrow 28/03/23 at 12:15. 

Please be aware that we're unable to support third party routers as we're only able to assist with Virgin Media equipment. You advised that your Hub light is showing as yellow when in router mode. We would need to wait until the SNR outage has been resolved before we can run further checks on the system. We would only be able to run checks while the Hub is in router mode. 

Once the outage has been resolved, would you be able to reboot your Hub and keep it in router mode for at least 24 hours so that we can see what issues your Hub is facing?

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina, assuming the SNR issue has been sorted, I can put my Hub3 into Router mode on Saturday 01/04/23 for 24 hours as a test. I need to keep my system as is just now as working from home and everything is hard wired through my security router, not wireless.

thanks