cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG635 Router connection to Hub 3 in Modem mode

BrynClarke
On our wavelength

I just got VM for the first time (house move) and have been advised that to run my home network (all of which expects gateway at 192.168.1.1), I should use a separate router and set the VM Hub 3 to modem mode.  I had a Huawei HG635 router lying around from TalkTalk days, so had a play around this evening without managing to get it to work, though I now realise I made some mistakes.  I have three questions:

1. Does anyone know if the HG635 should/shouldn’t work with the Hub 3?

2.  The HG635 has 4 Ethernet ports and 1 WAN port.  Do I connect an Ethernet cable between Port 1 on the Hub and the WAN port on the HG635 - or an Ethernet port on the HG635?

3.  Presumably, I must move the TV Ethernet connection from the Hub to one of the other ports on the HG635?

many thanks in advance for any help!! My knowledge of networking is pretty basic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Set access mode to Ethernet. There are two parts to DHCP on a router, it’s a server for DHCP on the LAN, in your case 192.168.1.x and a client for the DHCP on the WAN side. They are two separate entities. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1) should work

2) WAN port

3) yes

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

BrynClarke
On our wavelength
  1. Thank you so much that’s really helpful!  I got everything except “make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP”.  So In my old TT setup the router/hub was 192.168.1.1 with DHCP on, and addresses below 192.168.1.200 reserved (my kit tends to have fixed IP addresses, highest of which is not configurable at 192.168.1.120).  The HG635 has an “Auto” setting for Access Mode (also DSL, Ethernet..).  Do I leave all this as before, or what do I need to do to set WAN port to DHCP?
  2. TIA!!!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Set access mode to Ethernet. There are two parts to DHCP on a router, it’s a server for DHCP on the LAN, in your case 192.168.1.x and a client for the DHCP on the WAN side. They are two separate entities. 

Tudor

BrynClarke
On our wavelength

All worked like a charm - very happy!  So many thanks for the help.

bryn

I'm just setting up my HG635 with the Virgin Hub 3.0 in modem mode. Did you set the WAN / internet connection as bridged on HG635, I followed the thread and set it up the same as mentioned but don't get any internet connection.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Reset the HG635 back to factory settings and try again. Set the WAN port to Ethernet and make sure your are powering on the Hub (in Modem mode) in the correct order, i.e. last 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

wackyraces
On our wavelength
I've reset the unit. Set WAN port to ethernet. Switched Virgin HUB and HG635 off. Powered on HG635 waited for complete power up and then powered on the HUB. All seems to power and the WAN port states connected on the HG635. Just don't get any internet on any device though. I'll keep trying with it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you set the VM Hub in Modem mode?  What port on the Hub have you connected to the Router?  As an aside, you are aware you can only have one cable into the Hub when in Modem mode.  Can you connect to 192.168.100.1 from a cable connected to the Router.?  Are you getting a WAN IP on your Router.  Do not use wifi for test connections, you should use a cabled connection into your Router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks