cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - ASUS router RT-AX82U great 5ghz signal but rubbish 2.4ghz signal

geewalt1
On our wavelength

I recently bought the ASUS RT-AX82U router and have a fantastic signal with the 5ghz but the 2.4ghz signal is constantly dropping throughout the day.

I've contacted ASUS support and shared my Wireless log and they indicated it is due to wireless  interference.  They suggested changing channels and the channel bandwidth to 20Mhz.  I've tried all this and I still experience multiple drops of signal throughout the day.  Every time I change the channel/reboot/restart the router the 2.4ghz signal works again but this can range from only a couple of mins to a few hours but it will eventually drop again.  

I've used a wifi analyzer on both my phone and pc and both indicate the signal strength ranges from -20dbm to -67dBm, depending how far I am from the router.  There are no other wireless devices next to the router to create interference.  I also log into channels when there are no other wifi networks connected to that channel but again this makes little difference.

I'm connected to the Router via the Virgin superhub3 and this is set to Modem mode.  

I have tried multiple restarts with both the Modem and Router but the 2.4 still plays up.  Like I said the 5ghz signal works a treat.

Reading other forums I've tired a Guest network, disabled the WIFI 6 mode under the 2.4 signal but again none of these have made a difference.

If I revert back to the Superhub3 both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals work ok but the 5ghz doesn't reach my son's bedroom or provide a strong enough signal to the back of the house.  This is one of the reasons why I bought the router to help boost the signal and the Asus router definitely achieved that on the 5ghz signal.

Has anyone got any suggestions at what I can do to avoid the constant dropping of the 2.4ghz signal?

Thanks in advance.

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

On your Wi-Fi analyser can you see any other Wi-Fi networks overlapping you 2.4GHz broadcast ?

As you see on mine (5GHz shown) there are two pink 'foreign broadcasts' with similar strengths that are interfering with each other, do you get anything similar ?

wifi-analyser-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You’ll need to change some of the “Professional” Wifi settings on the 2.4Ghz band as they are not compatible with some devices.

Mine is set like this and I have no drops:

gary_dexter_3-1609351342397.png

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

mjpartyboy
Fibre optic

If you've tried a minimal setup of the 2.4 GHz network on the tried and tested channels 1, 6 and 11, then perhaps there's a hardware fault with the 2.4 radio. Not common, but not unheard of either.

First, I would avoid Smart Connect and run a separate SSID for your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks and manually add devices to them as appropriate, such as less important or low bandwidth requirement devices on the 2.4 to reduce unnecessary clutter on the 5, and then use these general and professional wireless settings in the router's admin pages (these are from my AC86U running Merlin firmware, so may differ to your model):

• 2.4 GHz band set to N only Wireless Mode (assuming no legacy G devices), 20 MHz Bandwidth and the Control Channel as either 1, 6, or 11. Regardless of neighbouring networks using these channels, I find they perform the best in my environment (currently using 1).

• 5 GHz set to N/AC mixed, 80 MHz and try the lower channels, like 36 or 40. Even when these overlap with neighbouring networks, they perform better than higher, uncluttered channels in my environment (currently using 36).

• For both bands, the only professional settings I have enabled are AMPDU RTS and Enable WMM, then Modulation Scheme set to match the capabilities of the band without TurboQAM, so MCS 7 (802.11n) on 2.4 GHz and MCS 9 (802.11ac) on 5 GHz.

There are usually around 20 devices connected simultaneously throughout the day, a combination of Apple, Android, Windows, Xbox, and PS, all streaming music and video, gaming online, and all are stable with this setup (SH2 modem mode > AC86U router and AC68U node). It's not uncommon for a speed test on the 5 GHz network to achieve our maximum 200/20 connection speed either.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

If required..

gary_dexter_0-1609431795924.png

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

@geewalt1 wrote:
Hi Gary, the issue came back again yesterday and the internet dropped a number of times on the 2.4ghz signal whilst the 5ghz was fine. Same as before where it drops to no connection or an extremely low mbps of 1-2 mbps and the only way I could get it back was to do a reboot or change the settings. I applied an extra change that @mjpartyboy indicated which was slightly different to yours. It's been stable since the change but will monitor it over the weekend. I've also updated the 5ghz to match your settings.

ASUS support weren't much help in the end and their only suggestion was to return the router to where I bought it from and ask for refund or replacement. I bought it from Amazon on 13th Dec so hopefully within my rights to get a refund or replacement.

Think this may be the only option if it drops again over the weekend. Maybe the router does have a hardware issue with the 2.4ghz radio.

Lets see how it performs over the weekend.

I’m not aware of any of the AX routers having issues with the 2.4Ghz speed dropping - I know some of the older AC models did.

It might be wise posting on here as well, they will ask for logs etc. to check: https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-ax-routers-adapters.56/

@geewalt1 wrote:

Hi Gary, 

No luck on this SNB forum as no one responded to my message 🤔

Anyway, I've ordered a replacement from Amazon which is arriving tomorrow. Fingers crossed this one works otherwise I will have no hair left.

The 2.4ghz had got so bad at not connecting that I reverted back to the Superhub. However, I didn't get around to disconnecting the ASUS router from the hub and the router is still providing the 5ghz signal (no 2.4 signal is detected). So when I search for WiFi networks, I have the 2 signals from the Superhub (2.4 & 5ghz) but I also still have the 5ghz one from ASUS.

I can still connect devices to the ASUS 5ghz and it provides a stronger signal around the house than the Superhub 5ghz.

So at the moment I have devices connected to the Superhub 2.4 & 5ghz signals but also devices connected to ASUS 5ghz signal

I thought that if you drop out of modem mode in the Superhub the ASUS router will no longer work. Is that right?

It will work but you’ll be having issues with double-NAT and duplicate DHCP etc. 

However as it’s only (hopefully) temporary you “should” be OK for now.

When you get the new router make sure you put the hub back into Modem Mode. 

40 REPLIES 40

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Try another router.

---------------------------------------------------------------

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

On your Wi-Fi analyser can you see any other Wi-Fi networks overlapping you 2.4GHz broadcast ?

As you see on mine (5GHz shown) there are two pink 'foreign broadcasts' with similar strengths that are interfering with each other, do you get anything similar ?

wifi-analyser-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Virgin image.jpg

This is the current picture.  The Guest/Getorfmyland signals are mine.  Even if I switch off the Guest/2GEXT my signal still drops.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You’ll need to change some of the “Professional” Wifi settings on the 2.4Ghz band as they are not compatible with some devices.

Mine is set like this and I have no drops:

gary_dexter_3-1609351342397.png

Cheers. Updated a few to mirror your settings. Let's see if this works.

I would also avoid using special characters in SSID’s especially full stops.

Also some older 2.4Ghz b/g devices have issues with SSID’s and (sometimes) passwords that are more than 8 characters long.

Although the 2.4ghz devices connect it's the signal for the download speed that drops to more or less zero regularly throughout the day. So will the SSID address help resolve this?

The 5ghz signal is spot on and the signal is always hitting the 350 mark or slightly less, depending upon on how far I'm from the router.

It's so frustrating for my son as his PS4 only uses the 2.4ghz signal and the download speed constantly drops.

See how it behaves after doing those changes.

The ASUS should reboot itself after applying the changes however it’s worthwhile giving it a manual kick as well.

Have you also set a fixed 2.4Ghz channel (1, 6 or 11) and setting the bandwidth to 20Mhz not 40Mhz or 20/40Mhz?

Put as many devices as possible onto 5GHz or ethernet connections.

It is a pity that you can't block those foreign broadcasts.