cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groundhog day technical support.

johngarty
Tuning in

Hi.

Probably in the wrong place, mods please move if appropriate.

I have been with VM for a year now with pretty much zero issues but for the last few weeks it has been nothing but a nightmare. (I live in a block with numerous VM users, everyone is affected the same way). To give you an example for the last 5 days or so: 

The connection (Phone, and broadband, I don't have TV) with my Hub 3 has probably been up for 3 hours in 24. I seem to be stuck in a technical support loop. 

I or somebody else affected raise a support call, (fault registered) it is flagged, and the service status page indicates the area fault, ticket number included, Engineer called etc, fix by 8-12 hrs.

Email/SMS then received, fault fixed, thank you etc etc. An hour or two if you are lucky later, router connection fault landing page, rinse and repeat. Obviously this time with a different ticket number. Groundhog day, and so it goes on. 

This is of course during operational hours, outside of this you cannot raise a fault and it is off for the duration. Sometimes after running the VM test it recognises the fault and lets me book an engineer visit (also via the helpline), but of course once this is flagged as an area wide issue and 'fixed', the engineer visits are cancelled automatically.

As I say this is not a home equipment issue. Myself and every VM user here that I speak to is back on straight away once the 'fix' is done. 

I work from home, do shifts that involve unsociable hours and large data packets and my work has been impossible. I have racked up a fortune in data add-ons to my mobile phone provider and barely scrape by then given the limitations.

I work in IT (not network/cable related) so am not a complete noob user. One thing I have noticed is that the router when rebooted during the outages indicates it is doing an update and either re-flashes a new firmware or reverts to factory defaults. Not every time but sometimes. 

Any help gladly appreciated. I have kept the last few ticket numbers if that helps. Either that or if somebody could point the way or the process of getting out of my contract without financial penalties.    

Thank You. 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What does the fault check system say about it? As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

Would be useful to take a look at your Hub data and connectivity - can you do this.....

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle - or top/right of the first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for all that.

Its recently come back on and one positive side note is they didn't close the ticket immediately so maybe its being monitored this time. I will create that BQM if it stays up long enough and follow all your other step. 

Cheers. 

Hi johngarty, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the issues you have been having. 

Taking a look t this, I can see you have been speaking with me colleague Molly who has referred this over to the area manager. As soon as she gets a reply, she will come back to you on your original thread. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you. 

You're welcome @johngarty

If you do not hear anything back by Tuesday (allowing for Bank Holiday, sorry) please do get back to us.

Regards

Lee