cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google chromecast - asked to disable AP isolation on hub 3.0 - need help

indigostar108
On our wavelength

Hi,

My chromecast ultra (1st gen works off 2.4ghz) is disconnecting or not found on my google home app. This is intermittent but I have to power it off/on again each time. Google has asked to make changes to the router settings but struggling to find AP isolation to disable it.

Below is their email. I am not that technical but can find my way around the settings if I am guided.

Can anyone advise?

Configuring your Router Settings

Be sure to enable or disable the following router features to allow Chromecast to communicate properly with your router and network. All routers are different, so each setting may or may not appear on your particular router (or may be named differently).

Keep in mind that resetting or making changes to your router settings may have unintended consequences. If you need help or have questions/concerns, contact your router manufacturer or internet service provider (ISP). 

• Enable: Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), multicast, Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)
  • Disable: AP/client isolation, virtual private networks (VPNs), proxy servers, IGMP Proxy
    • VPNs and proxy servers should be disabled on your computer as well (if applicable).

Here's some additional information to keep in mind as you troubleshoot the issue:

• Chromecast (1st generation) is only compatible with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi networks, so it won't list 5 GHz networks when setting up the device. Please make sure the Chromecast is using the 2.4 GHz band. Chromecast is compatible with both 2.4 GHz WiFi 802.11 b/g/n WiFi networks and 5 GHz networks, so you will see both when setting up the device. If you have a dual band router, you must disable AP isolation. Other devices such as your laptop/computer can use the 5 GHz band; the 5 GHz band will maximize performance when using the Cast extension to cast a tab.
  • If you're having trouble connecting to a 5GHz connection on a router that is running DD-WRT firmware, please change the wireless mode setting to "mixed" and then try setting your Chromecast again
  • Hidden networks: If your network is hidden (i.e. does not broadcast its name/SSID), you'll need to manually input the network name and password. To do this, go to the network selection drop-down list, select "Other," and manually input the name and password.
  • MAC address filtering: If your router has MAC address filtering enabled, you'll need to add the MAC address of your Chromecast to the list of filtered devices.
    • During setup, from the "Connect to Wi-Fi" screen, please tap the 3 dotsindigostar108_0-1596095538349.pnglocated in the top right corner.
    • Tap Show MAC Address  
  • Security: Chromecast supports WEP, WPA, and WPA2 wireless security protocols. These protocols prevent uninvited guests from connecting to your wireless network, and encrypt your private data as it is being transmitted over the airwaves.
11 REPLIES 11

Melissa_F

Hi indigostar108,

Thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry you're having problems with your Chromecast Ultra disconnecting. 

Have you made sure that UPnp is enabled?

Have you disabled the guest network on your hub?

Let us know and we can help further.

Thanks

Melissa

Hi,

Yes both were done. I have asked for a replacment which will take time as I need to send current one back.

I hope the new one is a 3rd generation one , may be better.

Hi, I am having the same issue - 2nd gen chromecast will not connect to new superhub 3.0. Have ensured UPnP enabled and guest network disabled, have tried disabling 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels in turn but cannot connect. Please advise!

Hi Hubuser2001, 

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community 'I am sorry you're having problems with your Chromecast .

I would like to look into this further for you 

So I can help I would like to invite you into a private chat, I will send you an invite shortly please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Hi, 

Its resolved now. thank you.

Hi indigostar108,

Thank you for coming back to me and for the update, really glad to hear this has now been resolved.

Kind regards

Paul.

Hi indigostar108,

Thank you for coming back to us, so others having the same issue please can you advise how you fixed this issue ?

Regards

Paul.

I cannot really advise as Google eventually gave up on trying to get me to change the settings and sent a replacement chromecast 

Hi indigostar108,

Thank you for coming back to me and for confirming your fix was a replacement Chromecast.

Regards

Paul.