cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google WiFi Mesh problems

Hinesd
Tuning in

Hi I’ve recently been experiencing with my Google WiFi Nest. This used to work fine but now the Mesh signal is weak and often drops out completely. It says move the Google WiFi points closer together but even when I have them right next to each other it still shows a weak Mesh. I’ve recently moved to a V6 set top box so wondering if it might be that. I’ve tried contacting Virgin but get told they can’t help with third party devises however from looking through this forum this seems to be a common issue. I’ve seen suggestions that I should put the Hub3 into Modem mode but I’m no IT expert and worry what the knock on effect might be (will it impact my TV or WiFi connection?). If this is recommended how do I go about it? I’ve also read that Upstream/Downstream speeds might be an issue so have attached my diagnostics.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

D2ACFA79-0C67-4E9C-ABA3-A3CE39C08C37.jpeg

7307B4D8-DB4F-4674-8BA6-A23AB88BD34C.jpeg

ACBFB710-ABD8-4418-AB6C-B94AAAADA98F.jpeg

31A13ADD-C9C4-43B6-A2EA-DBAFEF5FE6C6.jpeg

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
If the hub is in Router Mode still and the Google mesh isn't set to AP/Bridge mode then you will run into all sorts of issues.

To use them more efficiently you need to put the hub into modem mode and only have the Google mesh node wired to the hub

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

sophist
Trouble shooter

modem mode is the recommended way to set this up. 

follow these instructions to put the hub into modem mode and get the google wifi mesh set up.

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode
The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down
Disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub
Power off the Hub and your router/mesh system
Connect your router/mesh system to the hub via ethernet cable and switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down
Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

Should all be working.

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a try. Just one final question - once the Hub is in Modem mode should I also continue to connect my V6 set top box via Ethernet into the Hub?

Only one port on the hub will work which the Google node will be connected to.

All other ethernet connections need to be made to the Google node/s

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

sophist
Trouble shooter

Yup - you got it.

as for which port - it used to be the case that you had to use the port closest to the power plug on the hub, but i believe this was phased out with the hub3, so you can use any of the ports..

9 REPLIES 9

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
If the hub is in Router Mode still and the Google mesh isn't set to AP/Bridge mode then you will run into all sorts of issues.

To use them more efficiently you need to put the hub into modem mode and only have the Google mesh node wired to the hub

Thanks so much for the reply. I’m afraid I’m a bit of a Luddite when it comes to these things. I will try to put the hub into Modem mode but is there any downside to doing this and is it reasonably straight forward to reverse it if it all goes wrong? Should just doing this fix the problem do you think?

Can you elaborate about what you mean by only having the Google mesh node wired to the hub? I have the Google WiFi hard wired into the hub but also have by set top box hard wired into the back of the hub.

Thank you so much for all your help

sophist
Trouble shooter

modem mode is the recommended way to set this up. 

follow these instructions to put the hub into modem mode and get the google wifi mesh set up.

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode
The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down
Disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub
Power off the Hub and your router/mesh system
Connect your router/mesh system to the hub via ethernet cable and switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down
Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

Should all be working.

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a try. Just one final question - once the Hub is in Modem mode should I also continue to connect my V6 set top box via Ethernet into the Hub?

Only one port on the hub will work which the Google node will be connected to.

All other ethernet connections need to be made to the Google node/s

Thanks so my set up should be:

1) connect Google WiFi node via Ethernet into the back of the Hub

2) connect V6 set top box via Ethernet into the back of the Google node

Is that all correct?

When you say only one port on the hub will work how do I know which of the 4 ports I should use?

Thank you so much for walking me through this.

sophist
Trouble shooter

Yup - you got it.

as for which port - it used to be the case that you had to use the port closest to the power plug on the hub, but i believe this was phased out with the hub3, so you can use any of the ports..

Thank you so much for your patience and exceptionally prompt responses. 

And if you need further ports down the line you just need to buy an unmanaged desktop switch and connect it to the primary mesh node and make all further connections via the switch instead.