cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nest with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

JS781109
Joining in

Hi, I recently bought a Google Nest WiFi router to try and improve the quality and speed of the signal in my house. I was previously reliant on the Hub 3.0 and an ageing Netgear extender.

I’ve had no issues at all setting it up, very easy, but the speed has dropped considerably.

I switched the Hub 3.0 over to Modem mode, linked up the Google Nest Router and added a couple of access points. However, previously I was getting 200Mbps (which is what I’m paying for) download, now I’m getting 70-100 even when sat right next to the router. On the extension points its obviously even worse, perhaps 20-30Mbps. 

Anyone had any experience of this problem and how to address it?

7 REPLIES 7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Are you connecting with a CAT5E or better cable between the Google node and the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I’m using the cable that came with the Nest WiFi router. I assume given it’s a relatively new product that it would be at least Cat5E. However this isn’t obvious from the Google website or packaging.

@JS781109 wrote:

I’m using the cable that came with the Nest WiFi router. I assume given it’s a relatively new product that it would be at least Cat5E. However this isn’t obvious from the Google website or packaging.

There should be print on the cable denoting the cable type 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

It’s not clear unfortunately - the markings on the cable say “AWM 21104 E321011 80C 30V VW-1”

It would be strange for Google to package the product with an underpowered cable I would think? I can certainly try with an alternative cable.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are the ethernet ports rated at 1GB or limited to 10/100? I dont know that Nest thingamabob.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Nest Wifi Router has a 1Gb Lan Port

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Nest Wifi Router has a 1Gb Lan Port” I hope you mean WAN port.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2