A few days ago I changed my internet provider to VirginMedia, and since then I can't connect my Google Nest Audio with the WiFi. After an investigation to the internet, I found out that some Google Products do no work well when Band Steering, which I disabled (or at least I think so - what I did is to disabled Smart WiFi from the Wireless signal section) but I was still unable to connect it.
I also tried to disable 2.4 GHz, give different names for each frequency, and reduce the MTU size but none of them worked.
Hello Alessandro, thanks for the reply. I tried that and it worked, but the next day it wasn't connected. I tried that again yesterday and when I managed to connect it, I also reduce MTU to 1350 and now it works fine!