cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Virgin Media after more than 30 years

VM_aka_BS
Tuning in

After more than 30 years good broadband service but not customer service, I have finally left VIRGIN MEDIA  because I was told it was not possible to offer me the same deal as a new customer at £30 per month. My broadband only deal of £37 expired, I was then suddenly charged £60.75 for being out of contract. Had I not got an alert from my bank, Virgin Media would have slowly bled me to death. One email among many was sent but no follow up. As I explained to Customer No Support "how do you know the email was sent ?"......because our systems never fail....unbelievable and untrue. Should I not pay my bill an email would be sent then it would be followed up by a phone call from VIRGIN MEDIA . CUSTOMER SERVICE no 1 "the best deal I can offer is £48 per month". Why am I being treated worse than a new customer?" Off to retentions again. CUSTOMER SERVICE no 2 "sorry the best deal is £48 per month", OK I am leaving. CUSTOMER SERVICE no 2 " how about £37 per month?" Had you offered me this when my contract expired I would have said yes so I am still leaving". One day later I get a call from CUSTOMER SERVICE No 3 "as a valued customer we are sad to see you are leaving so how about we treat you like a new customer and charge you £30 per month?" Had you said that 24 hours ago I would have said yes. So NO I am still leaving. 2 days later CUSTOMER SERVICE No 4 calls. “How about we refund the amount above £37 that we charged you and now offer you the same service at £24 per month and give you 1 month free?”. Sorry VIRGIN MEDIA  you just do not get what good customer service is ........ You charge less to loyal customers not treat them as a money cow and milk them. GOOD BYE ! ! !  BTW I am getting a better service for £10 per month so your awful customer service did me a BIG favour     

6 REPLIES 6

Neology
On our wavelength

Hi, Nice name...

I had this same issue a few years back, I wasn't happy with the way that existing customers were forgotton and I was on a rolling contract at this point.

They offered me a new deal however that tied me back into a contract.

I understand you're not happy about the service you've received, however, after "leaving" there was nothing stopping you from being a new customer again.

You've stated that you are now getting a better service for £10 a month. I cant imagine that its very fast, nor what your usecase is.  I hope that it suits your needs.

For me, in my area, I'm on 1gb Virgin media, if i was to switch to ANY OTHER PROVIDER, i'd be on 25 - 37mbit...
So they have the monopoly on me, but for my "loyal service" and being "milked" I also near enough get next day technicians when I have major faults.

Good luck to your future.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just for info.... this issue is regularly discussed on here and best summed up in Andrew’s comments in message 6 of this thread....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/New-contract/td-p/4888761

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

😉 thanks re name. I was in the same boat in regards to switching .... no viable alternative. I am looking forward to prices tumbling at VM when 5G is everywhere. I have a 5G hub waiting for the imminent activation in my area but even on 4G I still get as fast as the VM fibre. And the new hub WiFi signal is far far better

Neology
On our wavelength
While my hub was dead last weekend, I used 75gb of mobile data as a tether... 5G isn't the be all and end all. Hopefully, it works for your needs.

Currently only on 4G which is more than fast enough. 5G roll out is happening where I live. I have 4G/5G hub with unlimited data without  "fair usage" throttling so no need for a phone.

My speed now and no BS

1664440728563_0_Screenshot_20220825-060405_Chrome.jpg