Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Good router for hub 3 in modem mode

I know this as been "done to death" in many threads over the years but as the market is always moving forward I thought I would start a new thread.

I got my shiny new SH3 yesterday only to find that various ports cannot be forwarded, e.g. to my little family mail server even though mail servers are in the suggested list of devices on the Port Forwarding page (odd that).  Anyway, having read half of this entire forum I get that ports 25 and 53 in particular cannot be forwarded unless you bite the bullet and use the SH3 in modem mode and hang a 3rd party router off the back.  Question is, which router to buy?

I am on 100 meg broadband and have not had particular issues with wifi in the house - garden/patio is a bit patchy.  Also a bit patchy for a device in the attic for some reason (SH3 in bedroom below that device) but the connection is acceptable. The only reason I am changing to the SH3 is that the 2,4G wifi on my SH2 failed, so SH3 it is then...

I have about 10 2.4G "smart" devices to service, phones and Surface Pro tablets on 5G and a few other devices like TVs (but not generally for streaming, just general connectivity).  We are not gamers, so don't need a mega fast router. I wouldn't mind a bit longer reach of 2.4 or 5G into the garden and would like to future proof to some extent as we may get updated at some point to more than 100meg.  I wouldn't mind 8 LAN ports if available as this would allow me to turn off my LAN switch for most of the time but the usual 4 will do if 8 is not a realistic option.

Many of the posts on hear seem to point at Asus or Netgear routers but any help on what might be reasonable to meet our current and reasonably future needs without breaking the bank would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Good router for hub 3 in modem mode

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/
and
https://unifi-hd.ui.com/ or https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

That is my setup (the AC lite)

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply.  My brother has some kit from this firm (not sure what), so I may pick his brains too.  Does the PoE come from the SH3 or elsewhere?  Looking at their website it seems they make versions with more ports if I decide to replace my switch...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

jbrennand, thanks too.  I have browsed most (or maybe all) of these links, which left me more confused than when I began if I'm honest.  At the end of the day, perhaps it will come down to personal choice for one of those makes/prices versus the other?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

POE is from a POE injector

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Just make sure the new router is for cable connection has all the "features" you want - in my case it was good timed access control for each device and has 1GB ethernet ports

Try these guides.....

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/pc-peripheral/best-wifi-router-3217482/

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/networking/routers-storage/best-router-9-top-wireless-routers-on-t...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@GRC wrote:

jbrennand, thanks too.  I have browsed most (or maybe all) of these links, which left me more confused than when I began if I'm honest.  At the end of the day, perhaps it will come down to personal choice for one of those makes/prices versus the other?

It is the same as buying a car, TV or a mobile phone.  There are lots of models with different features at different price points so difficult to recommend just one that will suit everybody.

I'd suggest you decide on a list of features you want/need the router to have and a budget.  Then draw up a shortlist of routers in your price range that have the features you want and see what reviews they get from actual users on places like Amazon.

If you narrow it down and want feedback on specific models then there might be somebody on the forum with the same model that can provide feedback.

EDIT - Forgot to say, trying to get a router with 8 Ethernet ports is going to be trickier as 4 seems to be the norm with those of use that need more ports adding in a switch as you have already done (personally I have two extra switches).

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

agreed. The only reason i recommend the ubiquiti still is i use it 🙂 can't recommend anything else but that doesn't mean there isn't anything else.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all.  I'll go do some more digging and come as suggested as and when