cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GlobalProtect not Connecting

LeoPrice
Tuning in

Hello,

I started a new job recently and have not been able to connect to the GlobalProtect VPN cleanly. 

If I connect at work, go home and connect it connects without any issues. I can then sleep my PC and connect every morning without fail, however this obvious creates a build up of RAM etc and isn’t sustainable. My plan was to do this then once a week go into the office to reconnect, however for the last week I have managed to shutdown, log in and reconnect without any issues. 

That was until this morning. I am now back to square one and it’s really frustrating. I have a super hub 4 and I am connect via Ethernet. I get a consistent 650mbps on my PC so it’s not the connection.

I have scoured other forums but can’t find any answers - does anyone have any ideas? 

8 REPLIES 8

sophist
Trouble shooter

Is your client configured to connect via IP address or via a dns name?  Can you check?  If DNS name, does it resolve to the correct address (you can check this using the nslookup tool from a command prompt)

What does the output of a tracert -d dns.name in a command prompt show?

Thank you for such a prompt response.

I’m trying to run those queries now, however when my laptop fails to connect to the VPN it crashes windows. The only resolution is the drive into work to connect.

I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

When I use nslookup it returns my isp and an IP address. 

When I write tracert -d, or tracert -d dns.name it says unrecognised command. Could this be IT blocking it? 

Hang on, dns.name returns:

cache1.service.virgin media.net can’t find dns.name: non-existent domain.

sorry for the spam messages.

Sorry, it wasn’t clear in my post, dns.name should be the dns name of your company vpn server (nb, if you post the output back to the forum you may want to redact teh actual host name…:)) 

so, tracert -d vpn.mycompany.com for example..

My laptop isn’t being very receptive so I’m going to go into work and connect before I follow the above steps.

Thank you for your help with this, I’ll get back to you as soon as I can 😊

If you go into work - you can test any VPN connections by using your phone as a hotspot to mimic it being at home - If it is a virgin mobile - I *think* it will use the same DNS servers as broadband.

(Our VPN connections don't work if we are connected to the work LAN - we would have to test with a hotspot - not sure if this is the same where you work)

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

LeoPrice
Tuning in

Hello,

Thank you both for the help and sorry for the slow reply. 
it turns out the laptop was the issue, not the network or my employer. 
There were a lot of issues regarding global protect and virgin media, but it seems as though that problem was with the hub3.
Thanks again,
Leo