cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GlobalProtect dropping connection

Gannicus1000
Tuning in

I have been using the Hub 3 since May 2019 with no issues. However since April/May 2020 when using GlobalProtect for work the connection drops every 20/30 minutes or so meaning that I am unable to access my work’s corporate network or use the internet, even though my laptop says I am still connected to the internet. The temporary fix is turning GlobalProtect on and off but the same issue arises 20/30 minutes later. If I keep GlobalProtect turned off I have no internet connection issues, I also have no issues with any of my other devices.

I have tried turning off the Hub 3 firewall and have had my firm’s IT team replace my laptop (Thinkpad Yoga X1 running Windows 10) but to no avail. IT have also logged on to my laptop remotely to play around with things (including reinstalling GlobalProtect) but nothing has worked.

The only workaround for this issue is tethering my phone or going into the office (I have been doing the latter which is why I have lived with this issue for so long). I am concerned that if a second lockdown happens I will have to tether my phone full time which will be expensive and cost me personally (I do not have a work phone). My firm's IT team are at a loss as to what more they can do and at this stage my only option appears to be changing internet service provider to Sky who also operate in my area. I don’t really want to have to change provider as I like Virgin and don’t want the hassle but obvious I can’t have this issue persisting.

I would be grateful if somebody could offer me some options for resolving this so I can take a view as to whether I need to change provider or not.

40 REPLIES 40

GooniesWorld
On our wavelength

Hi

It took me around a year.

What would normally happen is that my connection would drop and then by the time the tech support team had taken me off hold my internet was normally back up. They refused to do anything saying everything was fine multiple times. I only managed to get an engineer out a few after saying I wanted to raise a complaint. Even then some engineers were better than others.

Last week they replaced the cable from the cabinet on my roof to my flat. The job was finished on Saturday. I'm trying to gage if it is all fixed. I did have a video call drop earlier but I'm hoping that was just a glitch.

Wow a year!

So talking to others in my team at work that are with Virgin, are having same issues! Nightmare

I am having exactly the same issue.

I am using the Global Protect VPN for work, have the VM Superhub 3.0, and my internet speed is at 200mps download/ 20mps upload. 

I have spoken to CS so many times and got nowhere. As soon as the VPN is connected I get intermittent disconnection meaning that I get cut from customer calls, Google meet meetings and any thing that o have open disconnects.

When I disconnect the VPN the connection is fine all day.

Somebody please help- I have started a new job and I am fast approaching the end of training where I have no choice but to keep the VPN connected. 

I requested a new router as a resolution as I saw that this had worked for someone and the advisor said I cant have one as it's a VPN issue.

Im so frustrated with the fact that it is a known issue yet they are unwilling to support it seems.

Note: I logged a complaint w/ re: the fact they want me to pay for a premium technical support team to resolve an issue with their service- this has been closed on the same day with no reply or resolution. I am waiting for a tech advisor on live chat now to see why they closed it as obviously the problem is still persisting.

Update: I had a really helpful advisor today that has told me that they are sending me a Hub 4.0. I am so happy with the resolution. Fingers crossed it solves the issue with the global protect VPN and I can continue working. 

Our area is yet to have the 1gb internet however I am hoping that the hub will prevent the intermittent disconnection issues. 

I wouldn't get too happy yet. I tried about 4 or 5 different routers and they didn't resolve the issue. My issue turned out to be noise on the line. So the cable was damaged somewhere causing intermittent drops. Because the noise was so bad it kept causing my VPN to disconnect. In the end they replaced all the cabling coming into my house and that sorted the issue.

Cant express how unhappy I am with VM. They assured me that I had a new hub on the way... after waiting the 7 working days and missing over a week of work I got in touch to ask where the hub was. They said that it had never even been sent. I was then promised another one would be sent and I have missed another week of work still waiting for it to arrive. 

Does anyone have any advice? I am getting close to losing my job over this issue and everytime I get through to live chat they keep cutting me off and putting me back through to the BOT. 

Who do you work for - I'm not sure they can sack you for having no broadband - unless you are refusing to go into the office!

Your work IT department - if they are telling you to work from home - should provide you with a 4/5g backup SIM so you can still work.

Residential broadband has no SLA - If you signed up to work from home exclusively - then you'll need business broadband - which has a dedicated account manager and an SLA that ensures faults are fixed!

If you do have an office that you can use - I'd suggest going back into it until your broadband gets fixed.

I'm sorry that I am coming across harshly here but if you are truly a homeworker either:

1. Your company provides you a backup
or
2. You get a backup or business broadband.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

@GooniesWorld wrote:

Last week they replaced the cable from the cabinet on my roof to my flat. The job was finished on Saturday. I'm trying to gage if it is all fixed. I did have a video call drop earlier but I'm hoping that was just a glitch.

The installation of a cable on a roof used to be done but is no longer standard practice as the cable will chafe and become susceptible to the ingress of water or dirt. If the new cable is on the roof your problem could occur again in a few years.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Sorry to hear about your issues. 

I went through an absolute nightmare before my issues were sorted. I'm pretty sure the staff were taking the **bleep** with some of what on. I was told I was going to be sent a replacement router, a week later I was told that order did not exist, I was then sent a plug adapter rather than a router (they laughed down the phone when I told them), they then sent me a old discontinued router with parts loose inside the router rattling (they again laughed when I told them and could not explain why I was sent an old discontinued router). I eventually got a router. After all that a replacement router did not fix my issues.

My issues were only resolved when they replaced the cabling coming into my house as there was noise on the line.

Things only started heading in a positive direction when I emailed the Virgin Media CEO (his email is available online). As soon as I did that I had a phone call within a day from the Executive team who looked into the issue.