cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GlobalProtect dropping connection

Gannicus1000
Tuning in

I have been using the Hub 3 since May 2019 with no issues. However since April/May 2020 when using GlobalProtect for work the connection drops every 20/30 minutes or so meaning that I am unable to access my work’s corporate network or use the internet, even though my laptop says I am still connected to the internet. The temporary fix is turning GlobalProtect on and off but the same issue arises 20/30 minutes later. If I keep GlobalProtect turned off I have no internet connection issues, I also have no issues with any of my other devices.

I have tried turning off the Hub 3 firewall and have had my firm’s IT team replace my laptop (Thinkpad Yoga X1 running Windows 10) but to no avail. IT have also logged on to my laptop remotely to play around with things (including reinstalling GlobalProtect) but nothing has worked.

The only workaround for this issue is tethering my phone or going into the office (I have been doing the latter which is why I have lived with this issue for so long). I am concerned that if a second lockdown happens I will have to tether my phone full time which will be expensive and cost me personally (I do not have a work phone). My firm's IT team are at a loss as to what more they can do and at this stage my only option appears to be changing internet service provider to Sky who also operate in my area. I don’t really want to have to change provider as I like Virgin and don’t want the hassle but obvious I can’t have this issue persisting.

I would be grateful if somebody could offer me some options for resolving this so I can take a view as to whether I need to change provider or not.

40 REPLIES 40

If it was being blocked you wouldn’t be able to establish a connection at all

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi Zak

I've just started to have the same problems and both me and my partner work from home for the same authority,  is it possible to get an engineer round without the heartbreaking wait on the telephone and countless explanations? 

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @JAG3 and a very warm welcome to you

Is your issue exactly the same as the original poster?

Looking at the thread above, it doesn't appear that the engineer booking was a solution to the problem

Have you perhaps discussed this with the IT team of your employer?

Have you attempted any of the fixes the original poster advises that they attempted?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David 

Yep the same and been at it with my IT for 2 days. Its been suggested I need the IP SEC PASS THROUGH and PPTP PASS THROUGH ticked on .Just trying to explain this to virgin.....

After going down MANY rabbit holes with VM engineers and customer services people (including them convincing me to sign up to some thing called 'Gadget Rescue' which I had to pay for and spend 3 hours on the phone with their team in India) none of which worked, the fix for me was to replace the Hub 3 with a new VM router. This solved the problem immediately and have not had any problems since (*touches wood*). Wish i'd done it earlier.

Hi David
After spending well over an hour yesterday and being passed to the Gadget team( twice who passed me to a team who were supposed to be able to help but told me they couldn't) and being cut off twice, I'm still no closed to talking to the right person about having IP SEC PASS THROUGH and PPTP PASS THROUGH ticked on as suggested by my work IT as a solution. You used to be able to do this from your account but the capability is no longer there and the first gadget team member I spoke to said Virgin need to do it their end. I'm not a techie and feel rather caught in the middle and a loss as to what to do can you help?

HI There

Thanks for posting. Did they give you the new router for free?

My internet issues seem to be very similar to yours albeit I am using a different VPN for work.

I also tried buying a different router but that did not work.

I had the hub 3 replaced with a brand new hub 4 but that did not work.

I had a signal booster fitted but that did not work.

I was eventually told that there was noise on the line causing the intermittent connection and dropouts and that I needed the cable coming from the cabinet into my house replaced. I am still waiting for that job to be completed but I am hoping it resolves my problems.

Hi Goonies

Thanks for responding. How did you negotiated around the initial Virgin operatives scripts who seem to have been told if they can't see an issue their end they can't do anything for you? 

Hi JAG3

Thanks for coming back to us.

We don't support VPN's I'm afraid so unable to offer further advice from here.

However, this is a tech based community with a lot of knowledge so hopefully you'll be able to get assistance 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill