cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Protect nightmare!

Salderson85
Tuning in

Hi all,

I've felt huge relief in finding others who have had problems with global protect and who have subsequently fixed them. Ever since my work swapped onto this VPN a few months back, my work laptop has been virtually unusable with connection dropping sporadically, and constantly, throughout the day. I've even doubled my broadband speed package with Virgin to try and fix it.

I can see that the issue seems to be the Hub 3, and I have now tried to explain the issue to Virgin customer services, citing some of these forum threads, to get the Hub 3 replaced. I have been stonewalled and they just simply say the can't without me paying for an upgrade to 1gb broadband! This is outrageous. Is anyone able to help here? Are their Virgin Media representatives on this forum? 

I've been at my wit's end with this issue for many month's now so would appreciate some assistance when finally a solution seems in sight...

11 REPLIES 11

justanotherant
Settling in

Just following along as I have the same issue. Even replaced the work laptop thinking the issue was the laptop.

BizBo
Tuning in

Hello, 

Global Protect is a VPN based IPSEC secure connection, however if the connection is weak (for whatever reason) it should drop to SSL (if this has been set up by your employer). 

So to explain how GP works, the GP will connect the portal of your company (some.company.com) and will go through a handshake (wont go into detail) then the Palo Alto Firewall checks credentials and the connection is established. 

The broadband speeds are irrelevant here, the quality of the broadband connection is key here, if the connection is dropping then the GP will disconnect and reconnect over and over. 

I often ask the user to ping the GP portal from a home computer (if possible) and see if any pings are dropped (also your business may not permit pings so be warned). 

If you don't get dropped packets then you should forward your GP logs to your support team for them to take a look. I would also suggest you run a constant ping to bbc.co.uk to see if packets are dropped. 

I run GP on VM and I am connected all the time. Its not the VM network as such, it will be packets dropped caused by a bad connection (house to cabinet possibly) which will be issues on the VM network.

It sounds to me as though something somewhere is causing drops it could be the hub. Its not GP sounds like its working correctly.

Let me know how you get on.

BizBo 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Salderson85 wrote:

I've even doubled my broadband speed package with Virgin to try and fix it.

Because speed fixes everything!

Use hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

That was at Virgin's suggestion rather than mine! Tried modem mode...no joy.

Thanks for this. I have no connection issues with any other device - no problems streaming or any other intermittent connection issues. Its purely since my work switched to Global Protect and solely effects the work laptop. I've had a Virgin engineer come in an attempt to fix the issue, but they found no issues whatsoever with the setup or cabling.

I suggest you contact your work IT support so they can run tests and look at the log output. 

If there are no other connections then it would appear the issue is linked to something going on at your companies end. 

But its unlikely to be the VM network. I think more analysis of your connection is required.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Salderson85 wrote:

That was at Virgin's suggestion rather than mine! Tried modem mode...no joy.

Hmm, and that cost how much to double your speed for a non fix ?  The cynic in me might think that was a sales ploy .....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Setup this VPN in modem mode and router mode and see if it works
https://www.listvpn.net/create-account-vpn-l2tp-france
also try
https://thegeekpage.com/fix-vpn-error-a-connection-to-the-remote-computer-could-not-be-established-i...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Salderson85
Tuning in

Just to follow up on this...I have since had Google WiFi installed and use the Virgin router as a modem and it has instantaneously fixed all the Global Protect VPN issues!