cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giga bit broadband drops in and out

hoi2you
Just joined

I got Gbit broadband installed yesterday. Got it working for wifi and also my sons desktop which is connected directly from the LAN port on the router to the LAN port on his computer via cat6. All works fine. 

I have a probelm weith my desktop, again it's connected directly via LAN port and cat6 cable. My computer is exactly same as my sons. My connection drops in and out every few seconds. The only difference is the length of cat6 cable. My run is probably 5 or 6m longer than his. I reckon the box will only drive a certain run of cable ? Can Virgin Media boost the signal strength ?

2 REPLIES 2

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Have you tried a different cable to rule out a cable issue?

There is no "signal strength" to boost either CAT6 cabling is good for lengths up to 100 metres.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi hoi2you, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your connection. 

I can see since posting, you have called and spoken to the team and they have arranged for an engineer to come and make some repairs. 

Please let us know how things go and if you need anything else, you know where we are 🙂

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs