cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 but speeds below 0 sometimes

stator97
Tuning in

I'm not really sure what happened, but I can only pinpoint the issue into being given the Hub5 - they started around 3 weeks after receiving it. I never had an issue with the Hub4

My speeds, whilst historically were brilliant and I never had any issues, have been hit with nothing but problems. These speeds are constantly dropping below 0, so there are very slow webpage loading times as a result and an inability to work as I am a remote worker

Latest SamKnows test - https://prnt.sc/Ytr63reji5q2

I'm having to hotspot sometimes but don't have the data to do this all the time.

I've had numerous telephone conversations just to be told "its being worked on" and that "they're monitoring my connection for 24 hours" but nothing has resolved this

The call I made this morning suggests there is a complex issue being looked at, but the service status page shows 0 issues affecting my area. The webpage never lets me do a test on my hub 

I must say, this isn't ALL the time, my speeds were over 1000mbps last night but back below 0 today. 

I find it annoying that I have to find the time in the day to call when I am supposed to be working, rather than just being called by the team. I was on hold/in a queue for an hour the other day

Is there anything I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi stator97

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the issue with the broadband. I have done a system check and you are affected by an SNR (signal to noise ratio) issue. F010330900 - fault number. The estimated fix date is tomorrow at 9am

Please keep an eye on things after that time, let us know if any issues and we'll be happy to help.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

My router is well positioned already and has at least 30cm between walls and other objects. I do not suspect the placement of my router being the problem at all.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@stator97 wrote:

The call I made this morning suggests there is a complex issue being looked at, but the service status page shows 0 issues affecting my area. The webpage never lets me do a test on my hub 

Hi @stator97 

The Check Service Status is often only populated with details of wide spread outages.

You could also try the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more localised issues down to postcode level.

Whilst not ideal it's probably a better indicator of known problems and should also show the latest estimated date/time for the fault to be repaired.

If there is a known problem then VM are unable to send out tech or replace equipment until the issue is resolved.

Check all of your cabling, especially the white coaxial cable, and make sure it's snug and tight and free from all kinks.

There are a lot of tech guru's on the forum that can look into your issues but when posting the hub stats they need the full details from the Router Status page. So please  copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here (not screenshots) – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. 

You should also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the advice. I'll paste the details below

Downstream - https://pastebin.com/AnWVxVHn
Upstream - https://pastebin.com/hQ0DE40Y
Network Log - https://pastebin.com/ZuAqyTFf

BQM Link as requested as well

Cables etc all checked, no issues there - will give the status number a call as well. Thanks again

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Some of the downstream power levels are too low. You could check on the back of the hub to see if there is an attenuator fitter, a small unit with 3db, 6db or 10db on it. If there is one remove it and see if that helps. Otherwise you will need a technician’s visit unless there is an area fault.

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page status, but this is not recommended as it only covers issues that affect a very large number of customers.

VM will not dispatch any technicians while an area fault exists.

If no area faults found:

Call Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait two or three days for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi stator97

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the issue with the broadband. I have done a system check and you are affected by an SNR (signal to noise ratio) issue. F010330900 - fault number. The estimated fix date is tomorrow at 9am

Please keep an eye on things after that time, let us know if any issues and we'll be happy to help.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John - I appreciate you looking into that for me - will check tomorrow throughout the day to see if anything is remedied

Hi again

It wasn't too great when I woke up but after a router restart, it was fine and has been all day actually, until just now unfortunately, where the same issue has cropped up and my download speeds are below 0, and webpages are painfully slow at loading

Not sure what else to do? 😞

Hi again, after typing that latest message I did experience a much better service for 2 days, but it seems its now back to its intermittent below 0 download speeds throughout the day

I'll call the team soon but is there any updates from your side in relation to this fault?

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi stator97,

Thanks for your update on this. I'm sorry to hear things still aren't up to scratch and you're having problems. I've had a look on our end and can see that the speeds directly to your Hub are significantly lower than what we'd expect, and the levels are out of specification.

I'm going to send you a private message so we can look into getting somebody out to look at this. Please look out for my PM in the top-right, purple envelope.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ