cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 Upgrade - Speed Cap & Ethernet Slower than WiFi?

ihsaan96
Tuning in

Hi guys,

Got upgraded to Gig1 from a 100mb plan on Thursday

From day of receiving Hub 4 and setting up, ethernet connect caps at 270mb no matter device/cable used and WiFi caps at around 400mb.

Peak speed I've had was 576mb at one point via WiFi only. Ethernet maxes at 270mb no matter how many times I've ran a test

SamKnows also showing Gigabit coming into the modem, but only 175mb being received to the laptop for example.

Tried both the SH4 in Modem mode and Router mode (Doesn't make a difference) and also tried all 4 ports on the back to test if that made a difference (Same outcome of speed being capped via ethernet and WiFi maxing at between 300-400)

Had an engineer come out yesterday (Top bloke was really friendly and understood the issue and we spoke about what's been done and test) advised that he thinks there's an issue with the firmware of the Hub 4. Connected up his machine to test and that showed a red bar going across the system status as well as he couldn't get speeds higher than what I was getting myself as well.

Not had a solution as of yet or any advice on what to do (Paying for 1000mb internet and not had advertised speeds once yet. Was told by the engineer that I'll hear back)

Any advice on how to move forward? Is it a firmware update Virgin needs the hub manufacturer to push out or does replacing the Hub fix the issue?

Thank you appreciate the time in reading and replying

6 REPLIES 6

ihsaan96
Tuning in

Also having the same issue since being upgraded from 100mb plan to Gig1 plan

From day of receiving Hub 4 and setting up, ethernet connect caps at 270mb no matter device/cable used and WiFi caps at around 400mb.

Peak speed I've had was 576mb at one point via WiFi only. Ethernet maxes at 270mb no matter how many times I've ran a test

SamKnows also showing Gigabit coming into the modem, but only 175mb being received to the laptop for example

Had an engineer come out yesterday (Top bloke) advised that he thinks there's an issue with the firmware of the Hub 4

Not had a solution as of yet or any advice on what to do (Paying for 1000mb internet and not had advertised speeds once yet)

Any advice on how to move forward? Is it a firmware update Virgin needs the hub manufacturer to push out or does replacing the Hub fix the issue?

Hey @ihsaan96,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I have looked into this further for you and can see that there is an issue with your upstream power levels that will need a technician visit to resolve and readjust the power levels.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

Just replied back to the private message thank you

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @ihsaan96.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign in to My Virgin Media and you’ll see your appointments on your account dashboard.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven, Engineer came out yesterday, did some adjustments...still not had a consistent speed over 300Mb/s a yet, did multiple speed tests yesterday, went up to 591.32 on Ethernet for a bit, since then it's dropped back down to peaking at 324.30 and last test I just did now was at 236.31

Thank you for the update ihsaan96.

I have taken a look on our system and it is showing we do have a reported area fault in your area. 

This is an SNR issue. The fault reference is: F009670456. 

The estimated fix date is: 07 MAR 2022.

^Martin