cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 Speeds Lacking

MushtaqA71
Joining in

So I just upgraded to Gig 1 and got a Hub 4, im getting nowhere near the advertised speeds and its sitting between 300-700. Is this because I don't have the hub 5?

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Possibly.

You will only get ~940Mbps on an ethernet cable connected 1GB capable device - is that the case.

On a single device wifi connections physics dictates you will never get more than ~400-600 Mbps - as it is on;ly wifi5. To get close to the 1GB speed you need your own wifi6 equipment - or a Hub5.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thats what I was thinking, I was expecting 900+ on the ethernet connected device which I wasn't getting.

I guess I just need to wait for a Hub 5 whenever that gets released. 

Kind of annoying that I can't use what I'm paying for with the kit given.

ermmm Hub 4 gives me a good 940mbps ethernet connection with downloads on steam hitting 120MB/s or so.. so it deffo works as indented with 1gig lol, i'm waiting for a HUB5 so i can actually get the other 200mbps the 1gig connection provides that is being missed out over 1gig ethernet ^^ lol.. pc has a 2.5gbe port and is soo ready to get that full 1150mbps bandwidth :D... swapping my switch out for a 2.5gbe one will be a pain

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Test speeds this way and you should get ~940

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. And See message 9 in this thread

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.