Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 + Hub4 + Archer AX50

Hi all,

recently moved into a new home and took out gig1 service. 

set up the hub and noticed WiFi issues around the house straight away so upgraded to AX50 with h4 in modem mode.

I tested via SamKnows real speed and hit 1.1gbps 

ive now got issues with WiFi speed(Ethernet is not the problem) 

I’ve got the AX50 setup with dual band and 5g practically covers the whole house and 2.4 grabs the remaining bedroom where 5 doesn’t hit. 

thing is, standing next to the router on 5g using my iPhone 11 Pro, the max speed I get is 350/400. 

I constantly see what I think is throttling Via WiFi and can’t work out why as via Ethernet I hit 900 constantly no matter where in the house the wire runs to. 

ive never tested quicker than 400mbs since the first ever WiFi test on h4 router mode when I got 900 on iPhone. 

im in contact with tp link and paying for an expert network individual to come check out the settings but was wondering what more I can do beforehand.

i can’t find a definite answer on ipv6 and making the most out of my new router, I can’t find help with anything other than reboot / change router settings(channel etc) 

I want WiFi to work for iPhones mainly as I have Ethernet cable ran to pretty much every room for TVs/Pc etc.

ive ran all tests and tried to optimise everything I can. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 + Hub4 + Archer AX50

Hello

With regards to ipV6 in the UK VM do not use it, has not been rolled out as yet, and no plans from what I can see.

What is your expectations for  the wireless i.e. what speed are you expecting to get on wireless ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@jordan123123 wrote:

Hi all,

snip

thing is, standing next to the router on 5g using my iPhone 11 Pro, the max speed I get is 350/400. 

snip

Is the iPhone connected to 5G or 5GHz ?

They are different, 5G is Fifth Generation Mobile phone signal.

5GHz is a Wi-Fi Frequency.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, yes via 5ghz no use of mobile data.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

when I first plugged in vm h4 and tested WiFi with router mode standing next to it, I hit 900mbs via iPhone 11 Pro - never to be seen again, at all.

ive only ever since then tested around 400 max, albeit the speed range is very inconsistent!  This is with both AX50(modem mode active) and with h4 as router. 

im expecting the maximum I should get, if it was capable of outputting 900mbs once, then it should be pushing that out and slower speeds the further from the router I am. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The wifi speed depends on so many things... First, the speed which you connect to the routeris never the actual speed you can transfer data with. You need to account for bi-directional traffic, for other devices connected to the router, for other routers and wifi traffic in the area, interference, encryption used, etc. Practically, you are looking at achieving half of the connection speed in most cases.

I have the same Archer AX50 running in access mode, standing next to it my phone (s10+) connects to 1050 mbits/s momentarily and drops down during transfer, but I cannot get more than 750 mbits/s transfer speed (see screenshot)

Also need to mention that there are about 10-15 devices connected to my ax50 at any time, so this also plays into the speed I get

wifi-speed-test-screenshot.jpg

0 Kudos