cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig 1 hub 5 upgrade

Staffie85
Tuning in

I know this questions been asked a load of times, so sorry for asking it again in a new thread.

But when will I be able to upgrade my Gig 1 Hub 4 router to the Hub 5?

I ask because all my main devices are Wi-Fi 6/6E and the Hub 4 is only Wi-Fi 6 with gigabit Ethernet ports, so instead of getting the 1.1Gb my home connection is capable of I’m usually getting no more than 800Mbps via Ethernet using Cat 7 cables.

I know that still sounds a lot but when your paying for a package that can give you 1.1Gbps a 400Mbps negative is like loosing the cost of your 500Mbps package.

having the Hub 5 would remove the last gen bottleneck of the Hub 4’s Gb port and Wi-Fi 5.

Right now I’m usually getting around 400Mbps via Wi-Fi and if I’m lucky around 800Mbps via Ethernet.

using a £500 router I can get 888Mbps via Wi-Fi 6 and Ethernet, using Hub 4 in modem mode.

I’ve had technicians around but they just tell me “Why you moaning 400Mbps and 800Mbps are plenty and the router only has a Gb port so your never gonna get more than 900Mbps”

the whole reason I brought the highest Virgin Media package, is because my house has a lot of internet devices and I stream, as well as play competitively… so having the speed I pay for is crucial in supply the other devices, while still giving me enough speed and stability.

but splitting 400Mbps between all the devices ain’t enough, if it was I would of stuck with the 500Mbps package and not paid double the price for the Gig package.

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They will never say when the Hub5 will go on general release - it is an unknown. It will happen when VM are satisfied with its performance. I think that will be some time yet.

If you want wifi6 speeds in the short term... you will need to get your own wifi6 router with a 2.5GB port and use it with the Hub in modem mode

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I already have an expensive router that has 2.5Gb ports and Wi-Fi 6E, the problem is even in modem mode the Hub 4 is bottlenecked by its 1Gb port so your lucky if you can get 900Mbps… yeah that’s an improvement but still over 200Mbps short of what my lines capable of.

plus when you use another router with your Hub 4 in modem mode, when you have problems with your connection on VM’s side, customer service reply with and I quote “We won’t even check it out or run any tests while your using another router, call back when your using our router”

so you switch to the Hub 4 to router mode (loosing all your settings that was stored on it, because it goes back to default), you call them up again and then they say “I see your reset your router, call back in 48 hours… so you call back in 48 hours and they reply with “well it can take a week to settle down, call back in a week if your still having the problem and we’ll keep an eye on your account in the meantime”

by then the speed and stability has usually improved a bit by then and your can’t be bothered with the hassle of ringing them up again, only to spends hours on the phone again to get told call back in another time.

to be fair vm have said 2022 so only 10 months at the latest but i dont think it will be so long by june i expect to have the hub 5 imo

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Staffie85 the whole reason I brought the highest Virgin Media package, is because my house has a lot of internet devices and I stream, as well as play competitively… so having the speed I pay for is crucial in supply the other devices, while still giving me enough speed and stability.

With all due respect, if you game competitively, why are you so worried about bandwidth?  A gaming connection uses less than 5 Mbps down, and typically 7 Mbps up if you livestream.  All that really counts with gaming is latency, and that is almost always worse on a cable connection than an Openreach one.  Likely you'd have a better gaming connection if you ran in a parallel Openreach line purely for the gaming rig, even if running at 10-20 Mbps.  If you are using the Hub 4 as your router, then you are getting the full speed of your connection spread across the household devices, and that is your stated requirement.  What on earth are those other devices doing if you think they're hogging hundreds of Mbps of your connection?  I suspect the chances of you using even saturating a 350 Mbps are exceptionally low, so you're focusing your worries on raw bandwidth, where the only benefit is fractionally faster download of new games, or the warm glow of a fast speed test.

Chances are that as is the case for me, your gran/elderly mum has a better quality gaming connection than you do, over Openreach copper for thirty quid a month.