Menu
Poolyguy
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ghost signal

Hi, my problem is that my hub 3.0 seems to be broadcasting an extra signal. I have renamed my 2.4 and 5 GHz signals but I am also getting a 2.4ghz signal called Virgin media too. It has virtually the same strengh as my renamed signal and is on the same channel , it also moves when i change channel and goes off when i turn off my wifi. It interferes with the reception on my older devices. The guest network is turned off and my account settings are set to opt out of WiFi hotspot. What's going on ? It's incredibly frustrating.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ghost signal

It is the VM Hotspot.

You can opt out on your VM homepage if required.

Poolyguy
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ghost signal

I have tried changing the setting in my account to opt out of Virgin media hotspot. However it says that it cannot be changed because virgin hotspot is not in use in my area !

0 Kudos
Poolyguy
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 3 signals

I am getting 3 signals from my hub. Two of which are on 2.4 GHz, my said which I renamed and one called virgin media . They are both on the same channel ! Causing signal loss to some of my equipment. Please do not tell me it is the virgin WiFi hotspot, it is not enabled in my area by default and so cannot be turned either on or off. How can I get rid of it, or stop it following my main said around the spectrum.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 3 signals

It's the virgin wifi hotspot and it's supposed to use the same wifi channel.  It doesnt cause signal loss as its coming from the same hub

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have merged your latest thread with your existing thread.

If you are unable to opt out of VM WiFi in your My VM profile then you need to call and ask VM to opt out your account.

Both being on the same channel isn't a bad thing, overlapping channels is bad, see this guide:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Poolyguy
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott, thank you for taking time to reply. The problem with the extra signal is a strange one. I can watch on my WiFi monitoring app that the virgin media signal moves to the same channel I manually move  my named ssid to. It then rises and falls in strength, causing my older android device to stop connecting .As I mentioned I cannot opt out of VM hotspot via my account settings because when I try to it tells me that vmhotspot is not currently being used in my area. So really there should be nothing for me to opt out of.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Trust what the Community tells you and doubt what VM tells you!  There is no question about it, your Hub is advertising the VM Hotspot.

If you connect to the hotspot and receive Internet, that proves Hotspot is available in your area.

Regarding channel number, it has to be the same as your own 2.4GHz because there is only one radio to feed that frequency.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Poolyguy wrote:

Hi Scott, thank you for taking time to reply. The problem with the extra signal is a strange one. I can watch on my WiFi monitoring app that the virgin media signal moves to the same channel I manually move  my named ssid to. It then rises and falls in strength, causing my older android device to stop connecting .As I mentioned I cannot opt out of VM hotspot via my account settings because when I try to it tells me that vmhotspot is not currently being used in my area. So really there should be nothing for me to opt out of.

The WiFi service in the past was always an opt out service so by default you were opted in without consent.  This may have changed under the new GDPR rules.  It seems to be available in your area, as your hub is broadcasting a hotspot, so the account settings screen is wrong.  That is why I said you need to speak to VM and get them to either fix your account to allow you to opt out or do it for you.  There have been other account settings that sometimes needed staff intervention to get them turned off or on because the My VM site failed to do it, I'm thinking of the likes of Web Safe and Advanced Network Error Search.

If you don't want to call VM then wait for this thread to be picked up by the forum staff in a few days and see if they can sort out your account.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Poolyguy,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

I will private message you so we can look into this.

^Martin

0 Kudos