cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost Wi-Fi SSID

Graeme2812
Joining in

So the scenario I have. 

I had a virgin broadband contract at a now former address (been with them since the blueyonder days). I terminated this contract, returned the hardware as I was relocateing, completely ending my relationship with Virgin. 

My mother then took out a completely separate contract with them at the same/old address and as a completely new customer. New hardware and new deal.

Her equipment is completely standard and not been changed in anyway. 

What is baffling me is when I am in her house I am still detecting *my* old Wi-Fi SSID from (I assume) her new Hub. It was completely unique so no coincidence. 

I have 'forgotten' the SSID and it is being detected on devices that have never connected to the old Hub. When attempting to connect it fails, but is still being broadcast.

I'm more curious than anything... What's possibly going on? 

5 REPLIES 5

carl_pearce
Community elder

She got your old HUB back?!?

Keep in mind it is rented kit, not brand new.

Possibility I guess, but surely they factory reset them? Even a user factory reset would default back to the original SSID's?

Her new hub has completely different passwords and SSID etc. 

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Any long forgotten WiFi extenders lurking about anywhere?

And no, judging from some responses on here, you can't assume that these are factory reset before being redeployed!

No Extenders or PLA's lurking. 

Theres new neighbours so they may have got Virgin installed and it could be my old hub.

The funny thing is its only the 2.4GHz SSID it picks up, not the 5Ghz.

Hi @Graeme2812 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear of the confusion about the SSID. Please do a PIN reset on the router for me and let us know if when that's completed, does this SSID still show.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill