cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting under 100mbps through TPlink router plugged into Hub 3

lewisd1992
On our wavelength

I recently purchased a TP Link AC1200 as I was unhappy with the wifi reliability of the Virgin Hub 3.

I pay for the 250Mb Virgin package and prior the installation of the router I was getting almost that speed through Hub3 Wifi (albeit with an unreliable connection).

Since connecting the TP Link router to the Hub 3 I am now getting under 100Mb from the wifi through the new router.

I understand this is because the Hub3 network ports only provide a 100Mb speed therefore this is the max i would be able to get through the connected TP Link router.

What would be my best way forward to get the speed that I am paying for (up to 250Mb) through the TP Link router, as I want the speed plus the reliable connection.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

9 REPLIES 9

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Place your bets everyone that it is a cheap router with 100Mb ports!
---------------------------------------------------------------

If this is the case am i better off switching the Hub back to router mode and using the TPlink as an access point?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What TP-LINK model is it exactly? What grade ethernet cable is it connected on?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

it’s TP Link AC 1200 Archer C50 V6.

Connected with the standard cat6 cable that comes with it

This is the one you could of got for faster speed
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B0937B8TMB/ref=sr_1_4?crid=FZU9SF9L...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for this, would it work properly with the Hub3? Are the Hub3 ports limited to 100Mb?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub3 has 1GB ports.  So - No. Its the budget TP-Link router that has the 100/10 ports that is the wek link in your set up.

Upgrade it to one with 1GB ports

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks all for the advice guys I’ve ordered the router mentioned above with Gigabit ports

loulou182
Joining in

if this work. I have an awful service with my broadband with Virgin. I am using this, but the service is terrible (0.06Mb/s download speedand 3.58Mb/s upload speed, using braodband speed checker.  Virgin kept saying they see nothing wrong. Thank you if you have any tips to help.

TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Universal Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with 1 Ethernet Port, Plug and Play, Built-in Access Point Mode, UK Plug, White