Menu
Edward55
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Getting ethernet only from coax cable

Hi, I am not at all savvy with this stuff. I have recently updated all Virgin kit with latest router and V6 box. Also decided to move the router and V6 next to TV so do not need to rely on wifi. I live in a 1920s house with thick internal walls and so wifi connection is variable. However, I need internet connection to my desktop PC in another room where wifi connectivity is rubbish. In that room there is a Virgin box with a coax cable which was previously connected to the router that was moved as explained above. What do I need to do to connect my PC to get internet in that room?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting ethernet only from coax cable

could do a ethernet cable run around the skirting board, or drill a hole and run cable. other possible would be using a pair of wired homeplugs.

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good advice from paultechy.  My lad has his gaming kit up in the bedroom and doesnt trust wifi so he uses a pair of these and he loves em - great pings/down/up speeds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-PL-1200AV2-PIGGY-SmartLink-PowerLine-Passthrough/dp/B00PQL2SSK/

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Edward55
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies. Because of various extensions around the house there are separate circuits and fuse boxes so there is not a continuous connected powerline to take advantage of the adaptors you mention. My question is specific. In one room, I have a Virgin coax cable that is not connected to anything. Do I need another Virgin router in order to establish ethernet connections or can I use a generic device? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

your limited to 1 hub per property and cant attach any 3rd party non-virginmedia to the coax connection since this can cause all manner of problems and is against the terms and conditions.. options could look at:

1) do a cable run from hub to device
2) cable from from hub to other room attached to a switch, this will give additional ethernet ports and wifi depend on device purchased.
3) run ethernet cable from hub to high db wireless Access point like a ubiquiti

i' m sure there is other possibles but non come to mind at the moment

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos