cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get WiFi in garden room

PLyons83
Tuning in

Hi,

I have converted my shed into a room with Xbox in bought a booster etc but WiFi is weak.

is there a way to make WiFi better without having to cause major disruption?

Pat

7 REPLIES 7

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

describe your setup - hub is where - do you have your own router - what booster have you bought - how do you get mains to shed is there a duct between house and shed

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The ideal way to do it is to run exterior grade ethernet cable from the hub out to the shed and put a switch and/or wireless access point with ports) on the end of that. That will deliver full speeds to the Xbox via a short ethernet cable in there

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Tony 

hub is in living room about 25m from outbuilding

i have an electricity cable between house and shed 

Tp link booster off Amazon 

So if I run a cable from router to outbuilding and put direct into x box it’ll work? 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@PLyons83 wrote:

So if I run a cable from router to outbuilding and put direct into x box it’ll work? 

it will and that gives you many options - if you want othere wired connections in the shed then add a switch - if you want wired and wifi add a router in access point mode - if its not an option turn off dhcp and change its internal addy - that way you would have wifi and 3 lan ports assuming there were 4 on the router - the 4th would go back to the hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Double Dutch to me that mate 😂

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Stick something like this on the end of that ethernet cable then connect the xbox by a short ethernet cable and any other devices to its wifi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.