Menu
jlincoln17
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

General issues - please help!

Please help! I have tried nearly everything I can think of and the web chat guys are no of no assistance whatsoever.

Basically for the last few days I have had major issues with my 100Mb broadband service. I have a few devices that connect via WiFi on 2.4Ghz range and they sometimes lose connection or websites time out completely.

I wondered if the WiFi signal was at fault so moved the router as per the guidelines on the Virgin Media site, this didnt help. I then dug out an old WiFi hub and hooked this up, connecting through there into the superhub (version 1 I believe); again this makes no difference. 

I then decided to switch the superhub to use the 5Ghz range which at first helped but am still getting issues now. I ran the traceroute tool on the superhub to sites like the BBC but they time out on some hops and nearly always return "failed"

Speed tests - when the connection works - range from 2 meg to the expected 50-80 meg download. Upload always seems fine at a steady 6mb. 

Even using a wired device into the superhub fails!

Problem I have and the urgency is that i need this for working from home, and until now havent really ever had an issue. Frustrated that the we chat lot need me to be at home to perform the tests that i have already done. I need an engineer to pop out and check the line and hub are okay, I suspect that the cable is degrading as my neighbours had an instal done a month or two back and the installers lost the top cap for the street connector (they have piggy backed off mine). I wonder if water ingress has occurred.

Any help/guidance is appreciated, am at the end of my tether with this. Especially as I know I can pay less elsewhere but have stayed with Virgin due to the past reliability of  the service.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: General issues - please help!

if you are getting drop outs with a wired connection that points to an external fault - start by posting the levels

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
jlincoln17
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony, not currently at home but will do as soon as I get there. Thanks for suggestion. When I looked at the logs on the hub last night it looked clean - after the main power cycles I have tried!

FYI I think its the original superhub.

Its just strange that it works fine and then all of a sudden dies with no real reason. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi jlincoln17,

I would love to take a look at this for you but I am having trouble locating your connection details.

Your last log in was from an IP address which doesn't relate to a Virgin Media account, and your sign-up email address is also non-Virgin Media. Consequently I am unable to identify your account.I will pop you a PM (Purple Envelope, top right hand corner) so we can investigate further.

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos