cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galvanic isolator

esseepee
On our wavelength

Having spent most of the day without internet access and many attempts at rebooting and resetting our hub 3 looking at flashing green lights, I was checking the security of all cables when I decided to remove the galvanic isolator cable and plug the cable into the hub and the internet worked perfectly straight away. I reinstalled the isolator and no internet. I know it’s a bit of an obvious question but do galvanic isolators fail, would VM replace it FOC and is it safe to run the hub without one while I get a replacement?

thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Eeeps
Well-informed

Any component can fail but given that the isolator is a very simple device it's unlikely.

The isolator should only introduce a 2dB loss in signal so is quite un-intrusive.

If you could post your modem statistics with and without the isolator that might help.

The isolator is an essential part of the network. Without it, ground loops can occur that impact not just your connection but all your VM connected neighbours

esseepee
On our wavelength

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I don’t know about modem statistics but I do know without the isolator the internet works fine with approx 200 mbps download speed and doesn’t work at all with the green WiFi on constant the green arrows flashing intermittently and the light at the bottom on constantly green for hours on end when the isolator is connected

78B5EA1F-D3F2-41AD-B74E-55FF28A28F2E.jpeg