cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIG1 / DOCSIS 3.1 Power Levels and errors question

AllTimeMitch
Dialled in

Hello,

To provide some details regarding my installation.

Virgin Media rewired my entire home installation last year due to a fault with a Telewest cable. I have a socket downstairs and one upstairs. However, the engineer removed the splitter within the Omnibox to allow the street cable to couple directly to the upstairs cabling. As I don't need Virgin Media TV, the engineer told me that it would be better to remove a part that could fail again. I can always get it added in the future, as my power levels would probably need balancing due to living right outside of the cabinet. Fine with me.

Initially, I had a Virgin Media Hub 3 with an -6 attenuator fitted. However, I switched to GIG1 last month with a Hub 4 and have noticed a ton of errors and my internet dropping from time to time. I have tried factory resetting the Hub and checking all of the cabling connectors to ensure they're tight to no avail.

I noticed that the DOCSIS 3.1 power level is much lower than the 3.0, and the 3.1 power level was dropping into the -3.5 zone when the weather is scorching. I've removed the -6 attenuator, which has bumped it back up to around 3.6 and after restarting the Hub, I don't see any other errors.

Questions.

1) Is it normal for the DOCSIS 3.1 power level to be much lower than the 3.0?

2) Does everything look okay from the logs that I have posted below. Note that all of the errors are from before I removed the attenuator and before this post. I haven't seen another one.

Thanks,
Mitch

11 REPLIES 11

Hi everyone,

To provide an update.

An engineer knocked on my door as they noticed that the connection wasn't stable in the street for a lot of homes and checked if I had been having any problems with my own connection. I showed them the logs that I had been keeping and they said that there was a problem with the DOCSIS 3.1 connection as the power levels shouldn't slope as much from the 3.0 ones.

Apparently, the cabinet outside my home had been melting under the hot weather and the parts inside were failing.

They have rebuilt or at least repaired the cabinet and checked my power levels again. All 31+1 are now sitting at 9.5 to 10 with an SNR of 41. Since Thursday, I've had no RS errors, upstream errors, or any errors in my logs. My connection is perfect!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

10 is the maximum recommended power level, it could go higher at times. I think your probably need a forward path attenuator. Could you post na new full set of stats?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2