cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent dropouts last 48hrs

BravoZero
On our wavelength

Hi All

Over the last 48 hours Ive seen increasingly frequent periods of latency and packet loss making maintaining a connection almost impossible at times, so bad its driven me to post here:

48Hrs:

BravoZero_0-1614720364469.png

30Days:

BravoZero_1-1614720409543.png

BravoZero_2-1614720427119.png

It seems to be occurring about 4 hops out suggesting its nothing to do with my end so I see little point posting my signal levels.

This seems to happen from time to time then settle down for months. about 8 months ago I requested a new modem to make sure it wasn't the cause. The problems persisted despite the new modem. 

What convinced me that the modem was at fault, was that it would intermittently stop responding to pings locally to 192.168.100.1. Even the new modem still does it. It stops pinging but continues to route packets and provide internet access. Why?

Can anyone assist? I dont get very far contacting you by phone.

Regards

BZ

25 REPLIES 25

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

The modem/hub doesn’t always respond to ping so that’s not an issue.

How are you measuring the dropped packets?

Have you setup a BQM?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I use PRTG locally, mainly to monitor a few devices I have on the local LAN. But It made sense to create a few ping monitors to remote hosts after I experienced connectivity issues. Thats how I can provide the long term stats (when my pics are moderated)

If I run a regular PING, when the issue occurs, I get about 3-50 dropped packets, followed by about 20 seconds of 500ms latency. Then it clears back to normal.

I can almost trigger it to happen at times, If I attempt a sufficiently large download at full speed during peak times, I can almost reproduce the issue. I would expect a little latency when downloading at full speed, but not the level of packet loss I am seeing. The problem is, it happens even during light usage.

Hi BravoZero,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you had been experiencing dropouts over a 498 hour period, I have tried to have a look our end and haven't been able to see anything at all that points to this, all your levels are where they should be, there was only so much I could check due to our router being in Modem mode, if you are still facing the same please can you put our router back in router mode and remove yours so we are able to run further checks.

Regards

Paul.

BravoZero
On our wavelength

Hi Paul

Thanks for checking. I hadnt checked the thread for a few days as the latency seemed to have cleared up, as it tends to do now and then. I can see why you saw no problems on Saturday as it was all working fine (see below). The problems do seem to occur more often during peak hours and more severely around 4-6pm.

30days:

BravoZero_0-1615325054124.png

48hrs:

BravoZero_1-1615325142954.png

I cant really put the router into router mode for longterm testing without breaking a lot of things I would rather not have broken. I've always used it in modem mode ever since my first Terayon on NTL 🙂 and these problems have developed only in the last year or so. But, even if it didn't give you any more tools to help diagnose my issue, I understand why you would want to confirm its not my equipment causing the problem. I would. Suffice to say, whatever router I plug into the modem, I experience the same issues (intermittently and mostly usually during peak times). 

It's a real shame the superhub doesn't reliably respond to a local ping. It could be used as easy proof there is no local network issue. 😉

Hopefully someone can spot the issue when its actually happening?

Regards

BZ

Hey @BravoZero

Thanks for coming back to us and for taking the time to explain the issues that you're having.

I have been able to locate your account and cannot find anything that would be causing the issues that you're having. 

I have checked for congestion in your area, there is some but it's nothing to be concerned about and wouldn't be causing the issues that you're having.

How is your connection after 6pm, does it get better after that or is it much later when you get higher speeds?

Regards

Steven_L

Sorry guys, but its still happening, causing severe usability issues.  

This is what I see from a constant ping to google dns when the issue occurs:

BravoZero_0-1618088939803.png

No heavy activity at the time. Normal usage according to the SNMP monitor of the external interface of my router:

BravoZero_1-1618089061311.png

Pings are fine to the router locally:

BravoZero_2-1618089223423.png

Router CPU showing no issues:

BravoZero_3-1618089299472.png

But pings to lutn-core-2a-xe-7113-0.network.virginmedia.net shows my problem perfectly.

BravoZero_4-1618089364939.png

This is causing bigger and bigger problems over time. Its becoming more and more unreliable as the problem continues and seems to be getting worse. This is clearly not my end and If this cannot be resolved I will need to start looking at other solutions.

To put it into perspective, this is how many times it has happened, over the last 48hrs:

BravoZero_0-1618090295138.png

And again, it makes it even hard to watch Youtube:

BravoZero_0-1618091066648.png

BravoZero_1-1618091124135.png

Hi @BravoZero 

I am so sorry that these issues have been ongoing and I can understand how frustrating this must be. 

As the issue has been ongoing i think i would be est to get an engineer out to have a look at the equipment for you. I have made this appointment for you and you can view it by logging into your My Virgin Media App or by logging in online here. You can also rearrange this appointment here should the given time not be suitable. 

Please let me know how things are looking after the appointment!