cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent broadband interruptions

space1999
Joining in

For the last couple of months, we've been getting frequent (multiple times per day) loss of broadband. This is across multiple devices and multiple operating systems. When the broadband drops out, if I go to Settings on my device, turn off WiFi then turn it back on again and select my network, broadband comes back.

We've had two engineer visits and a new router which hasn't fixed the problem. Today I ran an app called WiFi Analyser and this shows we are getting frequent short drops in the 2.4 GHz band to -100 dB with the normal level being -60dB. I've been into the Hub 3.0 and run its diagnostic tool. All the 9 wireless connected devices are reported as 'low signal strength'. Nothing has changed in our home setup to perhaps be the cause of the issue

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
see this...
--------------

Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The only ethernet connected device we have is a smart thermostat, so the problem is only seen on WiFi. The status light remains steady white when the connection drops. We are generally within 3 or 4 m of the router and the Virgin Connect app says the signal strength is 'great'

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Without you testing it on a wired connction its difficult to know for sure where the issue lays. Do you not have a computer/laptop/console/phone that you connect on to test (with an port adapter if needed?

But it does look as if it may be wifi only so see this...

If it is a wifi only issue (is it?), then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat or Whatsapp functions (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~6->20 months of Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi space1999, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having WIFI issues and these can be resolved via the pods, have you now managed to order these?

How is the service since posting? 

Chris. 

We are still getting interruptions and I have ordered a pod which I am expecting to arrive in the next day or two.  I will try that before making any of the setting changes proposed.

Thank you for keeping us updated on this. Please do let us know how the pods go. 

^Martin