Menu
ratskinmahoney
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Frequent Superhub 3 restarts and connection drops

For the past month our router has been regularly losing connectivity and restarting itself. This will often happen continuously for an hour or more. It is most evident in the evenings.

During these restarts the following two error codes occur in order within a second of each other:

0 Kudos
ratskinmahoney
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent Superhub 3 restarts and connection drops

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or is anyone able to provide any guidance on further diagnosis or even remedy?

0 Kudos
zhadow
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Same thing has been happening to me for about a week. Not sure how to debug it.

Sadmore92
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the problem I have been having for almost 2 years multiple times a day. Not found a solution and Tech Supports best advice was to turn my computer on and off. No that wasn't a joke, genuine advice when confronted with this problem. If anyone finds a fix do let me know 

ratskinmahoney
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The problem looks to be similar to https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Lost-MDD-Timeout-and-RCS-Partial-Service/td-p/332..., Though my upstream power levels look to be within tolerance (49.3 dBmV).

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about all of this ratskinmahoney,

I've located your details and I'm unable to find any active faults relating to this at the moment.

How have things been for you since posting?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
ratskinmahoney
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Things have been pretty stable for the last few days, comparatively. We have seen one or two instances a day, but they have been sporadic rather than continuous. So I suspect difficult to identify remotely.

Thanks for responding. I'll update should the issues recur such that they might be easier to diagnose.

0 Kudos
ratskinmahoney
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Yesterday and today this problem has become so frequent as to render our broadband entirely unusable. I am wondering if the cold conditions or snow are related as I think this problem was previously at its worst in the last cold snap.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@ratskinmahoneywrote:

Hi Nat,

Yesterday and today this problem has become so frequent as to render our broadband entirely unusable. I am wondering if the cold conditions or snow are related as I think this problem was previously at its worst in the last cold snap.

Temperature changes can cause changes in the power levels on your line and if they were to fluctuate outside the recommended range it could cause disconnects.

Might be beneficial to post your power levels and log on here as they are now.  If things warm up where you are before @Nat_J is able to look at this again next week then it might all look OK again when she checks.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@ratskinmahoneywrote: ....Yesterday and today this problem has become so frequent as to render our broadband entirely unusable. I am wondering if the cold conditions or snow are related as I think this problem was previously at its worst in the last cold snap.

There is indeed temperature compensation in Level 4 street PDU cabs that should ideally adjust amplifier gain to reduce power in as falling ambient reduces attenuation and the converse in heatwaves, but often with legacy street/line amps and extremes of temp variation then occasionally signal power will still go out-of-band despite best efforts of Networks engineering optimisation. 

That said for some reason you are wasting everyone's time for last 2 weeks by appearing to be less than forthcoming in (regularly) publishing your Hub stats and Network Logs despite prudently correlating the obvious relationship between temperature and performance?

Depending on firmware version then publishing Downstream,Upstream (Not Burst Profile) and Network Log may well yield Pre/Post RS in addition to Signal and SNR per channel and Tick Timers (especially T4 ) on upstream counters.    If you also implement a TBB/BQM then any Reboot should also be displayed. 

That will allow Nat/Forum Team to more easily identify timeframe to perform indepth analysis on their remote tools/monitors?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos