cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuating internet quality

Robasmith
On our wavelength

Hi, hoping someone can help! 

I've been having some issues with the quality of my internet connection. 

Gig1 1000mbps internet using Superhub 4 as modem and a Asus RT-AX864U as the router. 

The speeds are fine and while the ping could be better it is still consistently around 20ms. 

However I am finding that the connection dips very often. If I am watching live videos on YouTube the quality drops to 144p or 240p on a regular basis and I have to auto select a higher quality. Buffering is an issue too. I have also noticed lagging issues when gaming via PS4 using a wired connection. 

I have tried adjusting the QoS on the Asus router which just made the issue worse. 

I have set up a BQM (attached) which seems to show no issues so I'm really unsure what could be causing the problems? 

49191da40a5db28998e775c9618da6c3c82b2ebc-19-04-2021.png

36 REPLIES 36

Robasmith
On our wavelength

Hi Tom,

Since the engineers came my internet connection has got considerably worse. My average latency is now between 70 and 200ms which makes online gaming impossible. 

Streaming via YouTube simply cannot be done without constant buffering/quality dropping. 

I'm paying nearly £70pm for this internet connection and it honestly feels like I've gone back to 2005! I'm really unsure of what to do now? 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Robasmith

Thanks for posting on our community forum.

I've looked into this and I can't actually see any reason as to why the latency is so high as all of the signal levels etc are now fine with the hub.

Is this via wireless or wired connections where you experience issues the most?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Travis_M 

Thanks for your quick reply. 

The issues are both using a wired and wireless connection. My PS4 is wired and I experience several connection errors and lagging during games is very common. 

Using WiFi for YouTube is very unreliable and the quality drops very often. (The YouTube system automatically chooses the right quality for the internet connection and usually auto-selects 144p which is obviously unwatchable). By selecting a higher resolution manually I encounter lots of buffering. 

I have continued to run several latency tests and some return results of between 20-45ms however some others return around 100ms (I've even had one showing 400ms!). 

I'm really unsure of what to do. I guess some of the issues could be caused by the Asus router I'm using but the Superhub 4 is the worst piece of networking equipment I've ever used so going back to it is just out of the question. 

Thanks again for looking at this - it's very much appreciated. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

How many devices do you have connected to the hub currently?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

6 are on 2.4ghz  (Smart speakers, Sky box etc) 

3 on 5ghz (Phones and a laptop) 

2 are wired.

Hi @Travis_M 

I have just checked my BQM and it is looking signicantly worse than it did before the engineers visited. My latency averaged out around 40ms previously with occasional spikes. The spikes are now more frequent and lasting much longer. 

It would appear that something has been done during the engineers visit to make the connection much worse (borderline unusable). 

Is there a way to arrange another visit? 

Thanks, 

Rob. 

Post the share url for the bqm

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi Robasmith

Thanks for those graphs

I have managed to check a few things on here and the hub

You have an issue with one of the Upstream channels

Can you please reboot the hub so I can re check the Upstream again 

Gareth_L