cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing red phone on router

itstom123
Tuning in

Hello. I’ve had a flashing red phone on my router for 2 days now, with no broadband or TV service. A technician is booked on Tuesday but that’ll be 4 days of no service and I really need my Wi-Fi back up urgently for work purposes. I’ve tried all the usual “check my area” pages and phone lines and nothing is coming up, so I’m assuming it’s an issue with my router specifically. I’ve also done several resets with no luck. For reference I’ve been with Virgin on the same package in the same building for over a year with no issues until now. 

Just wondered if anybody else has previously had this issue and if there’s any fixes you could recommend, outside of just waiting for the technician? 

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That’s quick for a technician’s visit. Try this number:

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page status, but this is not recommended as it only covers issues that affect a very large number of customers.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi itstom123,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome back to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing some issues with your services. I can see that a Technician has since visited your property to identify and resolve these problems. How are things looking after the visit?

If you need anything else, please do let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hey Reece, thanks for reaching out. Yes a technician came out on Tuesday who was fantastic and fixed the TV issue we’ve been having with the service dropping.

Unfortunately though I’m still having issues with the Wi-Fi; the connection has gone done pretty much once an hour all day today. I’ll put a description of what the router does during these issues below:

The Wi-Fi will stop working across all devices, all of the lights will initially go red, instantly flash green then disappear. The white light at the bottom of the router will then intermittently flash before stopping and remaining on. The other green lights will turn come back on (I.E. Wi-Fi / arrows) apart from the phone symbol which will flash red before eventually turning green and all three symbols disappear (the green phone symbol is the last to turn off). The Wi-Fi is back up and the whole issue lasts about 5 or 10 minutes before returning to normal.

Does that description help diagnose what the issue might be at all? Is there anything you’d recommend I try to do to fix it other than reset, or will I need to schedule another technician? Unfortunately this means I’ve had disrupted service for nearly a week now and with my renewal due in just over 2 weeks I’m reluctant to sign anything if I can’t be guaranteed a reliable service.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

glad to hear the engineer attended! Sorry to hear you've still been having a few issues with the WiFi however. 

I've had a look at things from our side and everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect. 

I can see it's been a few days since you last posted. How have things been since then?

Alex_Rm

Hey Alex,

Thanks for your message. Unfortunately no, I’m sat here currently with no Wi-Fi and experiencing the exact same issue that has been happening pretty much every hour for over a week now. 

On your online postcode service checker it says there’s a TV issue in my area which will be fixed by Tuesday and may be causing disruption to our TV service, but no reported issues for Broadband. 

Given you can’t see anything wrong online either are you able to arrange a technician to come to my property as soon as possible to re-look at the broadband issue? As I say I’m close to my renewal and won’t be taking out another policy unless this gets fixed quickly.

Thanks,

Tom

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whilst waiting, can you post up the connection data so we can see if there is anything obvious ther... do this...

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return.

If you have a Hub4 or 5 then login on the first page up. If you have an SH2 or Hub3 - dont log in just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page.

Then Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts
Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @itstom123

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your landline / hub

I am going to drop you a private message now to confirm some details and investigate further, please keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs