cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix dodgy virginmedia wifi with Google mesh

yellowp
Tuning in

Hi,

just posting incase this is useful for anyone else. We live in a small flat and have had Virgin for around 15 years. Since upgrading to a hub 3 wifi has been consistently terrible. Our Ethernet connected devices work fine but we have to constantly toggle wifi on and off on device to get it to work.

But…

Today I put the hub into modern mode and confected a single Google mesh unit. What a difference! Wifi that actually works and super simple to set up. 

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its always better with your own equipment but bear in mind that any issues that may crop up, Virgin can refuse to help with.

If only they provided a simple cable modem for customers that preferred it and let them use their own routers  as the hub5 wont be rolled out as the default for some time

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also you thing to bear in mind that unless your circuit is working correctly no equipment of your own will make it any better. Always ensure your circuit is ok before spending any money.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

yellowp
Tuning in

The new setup is a million times better than using the super hub 3. No more cycling Wi-Fi on and off 10x per day. It’s crazy that virgin are sending such poor equipment out…

one thing I did discover today is that my wired network devices (which have never had a problem) had to be connected to the Google mesh directly for everything to work. 

As mentioned in first post the Ethernet connected devices never had issue Si knew it must have been the Wi-Fi on the super hub. 

Hey there @yellowp, thanks for the post.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the Virgin Media hub.
I'm happy to hear you have found an alternate solution.

If you do wish to try the Hub 3's Wi-FI, please do a pin hole reset on the back of the hub. (Pop a pin in the reset pin hole for 40 seconds).
Let us know how that goes.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs