cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firestick WiFi Speed Dropped

Wildgoose1uk
Joining in

This is an issue for me too.  My firestick 4k max seems to vary between 5-40mb, often in the low 20's.  According to the connected devices page my TV is currently on 571mb and the firestick is on 5.85mb.

I have :

• Disconnected usb storage and cable from firestick 
  • Uninstalled anything I could 
  • Rebooted stick 
  • Rebooted tv
  • Rebooted hub

Don't really know what else I can do.

Any advice or thoughts?

[MOD EDIT: Post split to create own thread]

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

Go to the Network Settings of the Firestick and find out if it is connected to the WiFi on the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band.

The speeds mentioned suggest the Firestick might be on the 2.4Ghz band.

Another possibility is if there are WiFi Pods or Wireless Extenders the Firestick is not connecting to the same one as the TV.

ItsJamesy
Tuning in

I hope you get it sorted, I got a new fire stick sent through and seemed to fix the issue.

I read somewhere else that they accidentally left their VPN running and that was the cause of the low speeds, but might be a different issue for everyone.

Speeds are similar on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  I am reluctant to use wifi extenders or pods mainly because the TV the firestick is plugged into is steaming along very happily.  I've never had a problem with the firestick before I switched to virgin.

Surely it must be some sort of protocol setting on the router?  

That's not a bad idea actually.  I've got a spare somewhere.... If I can find it I'll swap it out and see what happens.

Surely if the TV works fine, the behaviour of the Firestick needs closer examination !

I understand why you light think that and I would too if it were not for the fact that th stick runs with no problems on my now tv wifi (there's a crossover period)

Hi @Wildgoose1uk,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're facing some connection speed issues on your firestick. Is that the only device that appears to be impacted by these issues, or are others also affected?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!