cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Super Hub 2

fyddymycyr
Joining in

Hi.

I've been having problems with my Super Hub 2 which is about 6 years old. Devices connected via WiFi (Android, Apple, Windows and Linux) have been getting disconnected on a fairly regular basis. Apparently the modem isn't letting them get IP addresses or something like that. Wired connection works fine.

I've tried restarting, resetting, changing the WiFi channels, alternating between using 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals, and more. Sometimes these fixes will work, sometimes they won't.

Anyway, I renewed my contract in June and specified that I'd want a new router / modem. I've never received one, and the problems with my existing one have become a proper irritant over the last couple of weeks. I phoned customer service yesterday and the first guy I spoke to confirmed that there was a note on my account saying something like I should have had a new router, popped me on hold for 25 minutes and then the line dropped. I rang straight back, spoke to another person who did some tapping of the keyboard and didn't say a lot until he announced that his computer was performing some automatic updates and that he'd call me back. Needless to say, he didn't call me back.

How do I get a new router as my existing one is faulty and I've already been promised a new one?

==========
fyddymycyrs ym mhob man
4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Right... poor timing 🙂

VM has a Hub shortage right now (dont ask!) so they are instructed not to replace any that are working - yours is - ethernet connections are fine - so they can just say you have wifi issues in your property and fob you off again.

So what can you do.... I still use an SH2 but have it in modem mode with my own router and wireless equipment - been that way since day one. You could do that and get much better routing options and wifi coverage - but it will cost a few quid.

Or persevere and call it in again. You cant really use the "thinking of leaving" card as you signed a new contract that will cost >£200 to exit early - so you cant blag it So you need to convince them that the wifi is broken. I am sure you can think creatively on how to prove it is !

Another option is to upgrade your package to 350 - that has to come with a Hub3/4 for the extra speeds. Depends on how much extra they will want for that - may be worth asking.

Note also that calling early mornings ~08.00 sometimes get you a UK agent (not always though)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Cheers John, thanks for the reply. Looks like I've got a battle on my hands!

You cant really use the "thinking of leaving" card as you signed a new contract that will cost >£200 to exit early - so you cant blag it

Oh, maybe I'll try the "I only renewed my contract with the condition that I would be sent a new hub" line - pretty sure it's a criminal breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations for them to say they're not going to give me one because it's not broken under those circumstances. Not that Trading Standards can do anything about it...

==========
fyddymycyrs ym mhob man

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yep that's wort a shot too but I wouldnt be too confident.

Call early and use options 1,1,4,4 thinking of leaving as you will usually get a UK agent who are usually more sympathetic than the offshore scrip readers and may deal with it for you. Explain the issue and see if you can get one. Note that due the shortages - they wont just send one out to you they will send a Tech out to investigate and swap. Not that the Techs are also replacing SH2's with some stock of refurbished SH2's they may have.

Its a dice roll.

Personally - I would bite the bullet and spend a few quid to sort it yourself once and for all time.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi fyddymycyr

Thanks for posting and apologies about the router dispute. 

I've checked this here and all your downstream levels are out of spec. This is likely to be causing the disconnections so it'll need a tech visit to sort out.

I'll PM you now.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill