cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Wifi - Slow Ethernet

DataDave
Tuning in

Hi

I have the new V5 router on a 1gig connection. I have an external archer router plugged into it in modem mode, but I've decided to test out the V5 box on its own for Wi-Fi and ethernet. So i reset the VM box and set it up in router mode.

The router so far on Wi-Fi is not too bad but I should have a 1-gig connection. I am getting about 500 from my office room next door to the room with the router. When I have a laptop plugged in to the ethernet I am getting about 80-90mb. I have tried using a cat5e and a cat6e cable. Any ideas ?

Thanks

David

18 REPLIES 18

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DataDave wrote:

Hi

I have the new V5 router on a 1gig connection. I have an external archer router plugged into it in modem mode, but I've decided to test out the V5 box on its own for Wi-Fi and ethernet. So i reset the VM box and set it up in router mode.

The router so far on Wi-Fi is not too bad but I should have a 1-gig connection. I am getting about 500 from my office room next door to the room with the router. When I have a laptop plugged in to the ethernet I am getting about 80-90mb. I have tried using a cat5e and a cat6e cable. Any ideas ?

Thanks

David

Is the ethernet card in the laptop a 1Gbps spec or 100 Mbps?

Thanks for you reply. not sure, its a macbook pro 2020. Also tested on a HP Elitebook 840, same thing.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DataDave wrote:

Thanks for you reply. not sure, its a macbook pro 2020. Also tested on a HP Elitebook 840, same thing.

I presume those two devices would use a plug in ethernet adapter. Is that correct?

the macbook uses a dongle and the HP is direct.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DataDave wrote:

the macbook uses a dongle and the HP is direct.

When you have the laptop(s) plugged in, when you log into the Hub 5, what link speed does it show them as connecting at on the Hub 5 admin screen?

it shows as 100mb. not sure why its not higher.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 19.35.47.png

here is a screenshot of it

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DataDave wrote:

it shows as 100mb. not sure why its not higher.

Is the network cable(s) used to link the laptop(s) a common denominator when you are testing and getting the slow link speed?

Also, are you using a simple patch lead direct into the Hub 5 for testing (and not connecting via any in-home structured cabling between rooms etc.)?

I don't know anything about Apple devices so can't help you with the Macbook.

Is your HP laptop running Windows 10?

Are you familiar with accessing 'Device Manager' and the network adapter on the HP, then right click and choose 'Properties' for the adapter and (probably) an 'Advanced' tab and (probably) 'Speed & Duplex' to check what speed the card is set for?

Thanks for your message. I have tried 2 new cables direct in the back of the hub and also via a new netgear switch which is more than capable of the speed. Nothing else is plugged in. I think the network card in the mac has a capacity of 800-1gb. I will check the HP. 
Is the Wi-Fi speed i mentioned earlier a good speed for a 1gb connection?