cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to obtain ip address

Ronky
Joining in

I live in a household with 3 mobile phones, 3 laptops, 2 tablets, a firestick and a Now TV box and for the last 5 months have had no major recurring issues, but over the last few days my Galaxy S8 keeps on losing its wifi connection with the ! appearing on my phone.

Sometimes turning wifi off and back on again works fine but more and more frequently I am being told that my phone has "Failed to obtain ip address" No other device in the house has this frequently recurring issue.

Any thoughts on what is causing this and how I prevent it from happening again?

If it helps this mobile is the main user of data in the house, could the hub have issues with usages limits??

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its probably a DNS issue.

Look in its network settings and see what the DNS server it is set too and see if its the same as that on other devices that connect ok.

Users on here often recommend the Google server on 8.8.8.8. whilst we Apple folks prefer Cloud flare on 1.1.1.1. although my iPhone is on the "normal" automatic setting so connecting to the standard VM DNS server

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. 

Is that DNS server on my phone or somewhere within the hub?

Just discovered that my banking app thinks that my phone has been rooted in the last 24 hours (it hasn't to my knowledge!) Could that be related to this DNS thing?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Somewhere in VM "Central" - its a server somewhere 🙂

The number just shows which DNS server it is set to connect to - if the number is not in the correct "range" for your router it wont connect.

I dont use android or samsung so dont know where the details will be stored on it - somewhere in network settings I guess - just google "Samsung galaxy s8 DNS settings" and see what it says.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

comnut
On our wavelength

Ronky, If you are not that tech minded,  go with the default settings - unless one of your other PC users knows a lot more... 🙂

I hope you realise that the Hub3 is made to a **price** not performance (If the installation cost was £600, no one would buy... 😮 😞 ), so it may be getting worn out under the 'work load' !!  

First, disconnect **everything** and reboot the router... Then try **just ONE** connection to a laptop for test...

If there are no problems, then you need to get a good wifi router to cope with all the work!!  It will be worth it in better speed and usability!! 🙂

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/wireless-routers/1403819/best-wireless-routers-improve-your...

Changing your device's DNS servers has nothing to do with rooting. To root an Android device requires numerous steps, unrelated to the network settings.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

comnut
On our wavelength

mjpartyboy, Its time to READ Ronky's post properly... 😛

'my banking app **thinks** that my phone has been rooted' - it means that the bank software has got the wrong idea...

quite often some sites tell me 'I should be using Firefox' erm, I AM!!! 😕

A bit like if you see your girlfriend hugging and kissing another man!!!!
NOPE - He is her BROTHER!!!! 😮

we will have to wait until Ronky does something about it.....