cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP

Anon14
Joining in

Hi, 

Forgive me as I'm not clued up on this at all. I am moving into a new house shortly which I'm told has fibre to the property. There is a white box in the house which looks like a router but I'm guessing is the fttp box. I currently have virgin and want that in the new house. As I have fttp do I need to get an engineer out or just take my router to the new house and plug in and go? 

As I said I could be talking rubbish as I don't really understand it all so any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are on full fibre the internal box requires a power supply. If it doesn’t have a plug attached you will need tech assistance, as some former customers seem to think they are their property & remove them when moving.

The difference externally is also pretty obvious:

The left box is a coaxial feed used in legacy areas (these boxes can also be grey). The right box is full fibre.

Left HFC. Right RFoG.Left HFC. Right RFoG.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Anon14 wrote:

Hi, 

Forgive me as I'm not clued up on this at all. I am moving into a new house shortly which I'm told has fibre to the property. There is a white box in the house which looks like a router but I'm guessing is the fttp box. I currently have virgin and want that in the new house. As I have fttp do I need to get an engineer out or just take my router to the new house and plug in and go? 

As I said I could be talking rubbish as I don't really understand it all so any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Which provider is the existing FTTP from?  Details from estate agent, builder, previous occupier, paperwork at the house or whatever?

Are there any markings or names on the 'white box'?

Is that white box fixed to the wall?

And as far as I know you don't just take you existing router to the new house, no - if this fibre is not from VM it won't work anyway.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@g0akc wrote:

And as far as I know you don't just take you existing router to the new house, no - if this fibre is not from VM it won't work anyway.....

It can depend where you're moving to as to whether you keep your existing kit or if you need new kit.

General rule of thumb is that if you're moving within the same town or city, you'll be asked to take the kit and reconnect it (as long as appropriate cables exist). If you're moving to another town or city you may need replacement kit and possibly an engineer visit.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

g0akc
Problem sorter

And the other way to approach this is to speak to VM sales - they should know if there's an exiting VM connection to the property given the address.

Take their advice on how to proceed.

They can arrange for the necessary engineering work/visits if VM is available but not yet connected.

The router at your old house may well be wanted by the people moving in?

A forum rep may come along and pick this up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

@BenMcr wrote:

@g0akc wrote:

It can depend where you're moving to as to whether you keep your existing kit or if you need new kit.

General rule of thumb is that if you're moving within the same town or city, you'll be asked to take the kit and reconnect it (as long as appropriate cables exist). If you're moving to another town or city you may need replacement kit and possibly an engineer visit.

Yes - but my point is that the OP needs to speak to VM and discuss it/get the advice - not just take it away to another house without consent.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes. Either way the team in Virgin Media that support moving home need to be involved.

They'll be able to confirm if the address can have Virgin Media services and how that needs to be done (keep kit / new kit / new kit + visit)
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

g0akc
Problem sorter

Personally if I were moving house I would check what services and deals are available from VM, and other providers, at the new property (this will indicate if VM services are in fact available, and which ones).

The fibre at the new house may, or may not, be Virgin's

Take any termination fees into account.

Decide what package you want and go from there.

Take advice from VM on what to do with your existing equipment - such as take with you or not.

Anon14
Joining in

Thank you for all your messages. Still a bit confused if on being honest. Think what's best is to follow the advice and speak to VM once we have a date. Thanks again much appreciated.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anon14 wrote:

Hi, 

Forgive me as I'm not clued up on this at all. I am moving into a new house shortly which I'm told has fibre to the property. There is a white box in the house which looks like a router but I'm guessing is the fttp box. <snip>

A photo of the existing white box would be very helpful 😊

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks