cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP blocked from device since upgrading to Hub 3

paulgardner99
Tuning in

I was sent a Hub 3 to replace a faulty Hub 2ac that was intermittently restarting. My broadband is now stable again since installing the Hub 3 but I'm having a specific problem with an IP camera no longer being able to send footage up to my remote FTP site.

It was working just fine on the Hub 2ac but I now keep getting error messages from the camera whenever it tries to upload to FTP. No settings or passwords were changed.

I have tried uploading a file to the FTP server via Filezilla and it seems to work just fine, so I don't think there is a general block on port 21 at either the router or at the FTP server.

The camera has a static IP address on my network and I use port forwarding so that the camera's live footage can be viewed with an app. 

Do I need to create a new port forwarding rule so that the camera can upload to FTP? It wasn't necessary on my previous router. And if so, what would be the correct rule to create?

Thank you.

18 REPLIES 18

sophist
Trouble shooter

No port forwarding required for the ftp traffic from the camera to the ftp server.. port forwarding is for traffic from the internet coming into your network. Not for traffic from your network going out to the internet.

Aside from the issue with ftp, is the camera otherwise working (i.e. still accessible on the network, can still view the livestream etc..)

Yes, the camera is working just fine. Live footage viewable both on the local network and remotely. 

And it was uploading footage to FTP right up to the moment I disconnected the Hub 2ac and connected the Hub 3.

I have tried using the Hub 2ac to see if it would work with that, but this can no longer get an internet connection even after several hours. I don't know if connecting a Hub 3 to the VM cable has somehow updated a setting that prevents the Hub 2ac working on my connection now? 

So the next thing I tried was putting the Hub 3 in modem mode to see if I could use the 2ac as a router. But the Hub 3 didn't seem to be getting an internet connection even after waiting for 20 minutes or so and ended up with the bottom light going red. I did try connecting the 2ac to ethernet port 1 as a router anyway but this didn't work as there was no internet signal. I wasn't able to see the Hub 3 home page at 192.168.100.1 in modem mode with my PC connected to ethernet port 1 either. 

I ended up doing a factory reset of the Hub 3 to restore router mode. This has brought normal internet and wifi connectivity back - but my problem with the camera suddenly not being able to access the remote FTP server remains. That also eliminates any changes I made to the Hub 3 settings being a cause of the FTP problem. As stated in the OP, I can use Filezilla on my PC to access the remote FTP server, so there isn't a general problem with FTP on the network but the camera is no longer able to get a connection when it was managing perfectly OK before switching to the Hub 3.

So I'm really stumped now. I'd really like to get this working as it gives me peace of mind to have any footage going off site to a remote server. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
when the hub 3 is activated the old hub will be disabled

@paulgardner99 wrote:

So the next thing I tried was putting the Hub 3 in modem mode to see if I could use the 2ac as a router. But the Hub 3 didn't seem to be getting an internet connection even after waiting for 20 minutes or so and ended up with the bottom light going red. I did try connecting the 2ac to ethernet port 1 as a router anyway but this didn't work as there was no internet signal. I wasn't able to see the Hub 3 home page at 192.168.100.1 in modem mode with my PC connected to ethernet port 1 either. 

You can't use the hub 2ac as a router with the hub 3 you may need to look at getting your own wireless router with the hub in modem mode.

Try this and see DMZ to the IP camera.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@apcyberax

Yes, that's what I suspected. 😞

Thanks for confirming.

What type of FTP is used by the camera and can it be changed (Active or Passive)?

Port 21 is only used to set the communication up. FTP data is transferred using different ports.

In active mode then the client (camera) listens on a port that must be open for connections from the Internet (forwarded)

In passive mode it's the server that listens on a port for the data.

Normally passive mode works better when behind a NAT or firewall.

For active mode, the incoming port forward can be automatically set up by the router using an FTP ALG function.
I suspect the SH2 had this function but the SH3 does not.

If you can change the camera to use a passive connection that may help.

Hi legacy1,

Yes, I feared that the 2ac wouldn't work like that but it was worth a try.

Getting a new router might have to be the answer but I did try the Hub 3 in pure modem mode and it didn't seem to want to connect to the internet. I was using an ethernet connection directly to my PC and Windows was saying it was connected to the network but not the internet. If I can't get internet to work in modem mode then obviously I don't want to shell out on a new router.

It would help if there was a better manual for the Hub 3 than the very basic installation guide.

I did try your link for testing outgoing ports and for port 21 it said: ftp://bridgemode.bounceme.net 

I'm not sure what "see DMZ to the IP camera" means, sorry.

Hi Eeeps

The options it gives are "PASV" (presumably passive) and "PORT". It's not working with either now, but was originally working fine in passive mode.