Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Extremley poor service from Virgin

We upgraded to the Gig1 Fibre broadband and new Hub 4. 

We installed it on the 25th October and ever since that day my speed has never been above 400mbps, well below the "guaranteed" 550mpbs we signed up for. 

The Hub 4 has been intermittently disconnecting through both WiFi and Ethernet. Having 2nd line IT look into it, the Hub 4 has a power issue and is throttling itself.

We also discovered the outside line has a big split in the cable so that obviously will cause issue. However nobody will book an engineer for a repair because apparently it's an area wide issue. No, it really isn't, I can see the bad cable and my Hub is broken before my very own eyes. I doubt I'm the cause of an area wide issue.

I've spoken to CS, Retentions, Gig1 team, Repairs, 1st line support, 2nd line support. I have logged an official complaint, which when they ring, someone heavily breaths down the phone and then ends the call like some crazed lunatic. And to top it off, one 2nd line IT support technician told me "I have had no training on Gig1 until next year so we cannot diagnose issues, sorry goodbye". Are you for real?

This is an absolute joke, Virgin's front page advertise free repairs and servicing yet everybody is refusing to send a new Hub 4 and book an engineer for the cabling issue. I need this sorting, it's been nearly 2 weeks of Phone calls to places all I want is a new Hub 4 and an Engineer being booked to visit and re cable the property. In the past 5 years, total Bill's would amount to over £6,000 yet this very simple request which is an advertised part of the package cannot be done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremley poor service from Virgin

If there is an area or local issue - all engineer visits are auto-cancelled untill that is sorted (makes sense). To check if you have one... As well as trying the “check service,” weblink (at the top of this forum board), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) - that may give you more info.
If nothing shows on there call it in again and see what they say when they test your connection and if they say there is an "Area" problem get a fault reference number so the VM people on here can see if it does apply to you.

In the meantime, you could Check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Also, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text (NOT SURE WHERE THAT WILL BE ON THE HUB4's 1st PAGE) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the downstream, upstream, & network logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos