cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow upload speeds

hxr012
Tuning in

I've been having extremely slow upload speeds for months and no one on virgin medias helpline seems to know what they're doing. After multiple technician visits and phone calls, nothing has been sorted. Was hoping someone on here could help me out. Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You need a Tech !

Call it in - or a VM person will help when they get here in a day or two

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey there 👋 @hxr012, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the service on the broadband 😞
I have had a look and I can see there is an SNR issue in the area, an SNR issue being a "Signal to Noise Ratio" fault.

SNR (signal to noise ratio). This is just a technical term for interference of the Broadband signal caused by noise which ingresses on to our network. It's a difficult problem to locate and diagnose. This is because noise can ingress anywhere on our network. As a general rule it's normally caused by customer equipment e.g. loose connections or 3rd party equipment attached to our network. However it can also be attributable to local architecture, e.g street cabinets, cabling or at the origin of the signal which we call the Headend (servers/routing system).

The only way to establish where the noise is originating is for the Network Techs to run a series of trace routes. Once found then the cause dictates he amount of work required and the time frame for resolution.

The estimated repair time for this fault is by 11am on the 14th February, the reference for this fault is: F010411109.
Check back here on the service page on the day to see further updates.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the estimated repair time of the 14th of February. This issue has been going on for months, but ever since about a month ago when virgin media finally accepted that the issue was on their end after numerous engineer visits, I got my first message that the estimated repair time was on 24/1. Then 25/1, then 27/1, then 31/1, then 9/2, then 14/2, then 16/2, then 15/2 (went back a day), then 16/2 AGAIN, and just 5 minutes ago I got an updated estimated repair time of 22/2.

It's clear to see not one of you people have a single clue what's going on. Cheers.

Hi there @hxr012 

I am so sorry that this outage was extended, we always try to give an accurate estimated fix time but this can be extended due to more work needed. We will always update the relevant sites and numbers when an outage fix time has been extended so you can check. 

I have had a look and I can see that the SNR outage is no longer showing for you area. I can also see that the Hub has been up for around 9 days. Now that the outage is resolved we would recommend performing a full factory reset by pushing a pen etc into the reset hole at the back of the Hub and holding in for 60 seconds so the connection can refresh. 

Are you able to try this and let us know how things are looking since your last post? 

Have been monitoring my internet connection since and it has been really unstable. There’s times where the upstream bonded channels modulation drop unanimously to 16 qam. Even from this link you can see how the connection is sometimes non-existent. So the problems are still there. What’s the next step forward apart from moving to another isp which is going to very likely considering the months of appalling service 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b48bb455683f4fd7cbadceb39da61355f77da7c5

Thanks for your reply @hxr012, sorry to see that you are still having issues with your upload speeds.

I have checking things on our end and everything seems to be looking as they should. Have you been able to reboot your equipment since experiencing the known area issues?

Are you also seeing this issue on both wired and wireless connections? 

Let us know, we will be happy to assist further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules