cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra ports on Hub

Sjmwych
Tuning in

I've run out of ports on the Hub! What do I need to get??

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sjmwych wrote:

I've run out of ports on the Hub! What do I need to get??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PYSNSDD 

plus some ethernet cables.

Maybe a better router with 1Gb ports to use your hub in modem mode too.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you - does it slow things down at all? 

@Sjmwych wrote:

No, not at all.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Sjmwych wrote:

Short answer - no

(make sure its s gigabit switch - the one shown in the link is)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sjmwych wrote:

As already stated no, you won't 'see' any perceivable difference.

The one I linked to may appear cheap, however they are generally for home use devices, and it has a 10Gbps bandwidth so you should be ok... 😀

https://www.netgear.co.uk/images/datasheet/switches/GS305_GS308_GS305P_GS308P.pdf 

Sorry if it’s a stupid question! But what does the setup look like? I looked at the info sheet you kindly sent and that shows nothing attached to a router - do you plug the Netgear device into the router and everything into it? Or do you still have some stuff plugged directly to the router and other stuff to Netgear??

@Sjmwych wrote:

Sorry if it’s a stupid question! But what does the setup look like? I looked at the info sheet you kindly sent and that shows nothing attached to a router - do you plug the Netgear device into the router and everything into it? Or do you still have some stuff plugged directly to the router and other stuff to Netgear??

Just plug one cable from the hub into a port on the switch.. then you can use the extra four ports on the switch for whatever you like..

Hi all - late addition to my query - I’ve got 5 port gigabit switch and all working fine but had a thought when I saw it listed under wifi devices - should it be passworded?? Can anyone access it and therefore my main router? Sorry if it’s stupid question - really have no clue on these matters!!